• Sometimes

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Used to

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Never

Votes: 50 66.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that I break rules sometimes. I do not always run a primary. I will do a visual jump if I know the system very well, but only to close a circuit (such as back to the mainline that I know is continous). I will not do a visual jump to start a circuit or just jumping. I hate spools and use reels only. I will not do a trust me dive either. I have been know to piss others in my team off because of my arrow placements rather than just trusting them.

I'm surprised to see so much negativity about small reels. Ben Martinez introduced me to them, and I've been enjoying mine. Fits in a pocket, and is SO much faster to pull out than a spool!

I imagine that the tiny jump reels sold by DR would be harder to use.

Is this the "tiny jump reel" mentioned? SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Jump/Gap Reel

It says "discontinued 1 June 2011.

EDIT: Perhaps replaced with new model http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/reels/re52050.

Jax, I'm talking about the typical Sidewinder style DR jump reel which any cave diver should recognize as they are pretty popular due to low price: $35ish compared to the LG or LM style which are more like $70.

The DR reels are good product but hard to hold in my big hands compared to the huge handled LG reels. I can work with both, but love the LG. Prefer it to LM style as the handle on the LG is wider.

But I couldn't care less what other divers use.

I won't leave my LG reels in the cave overnight. Too many scumbags out there. Complex circuits requiring a clean up dive get a spool for jumps.

Jax, I'm talking about the typical Sidewinder style DR jump reel which any cave diver should recognize as they are pretty popular . . .

Yeah, but for those who are only cave-curious, we have no idea . . . :dance:

-take cavern. :wink:

:tongue2:

I'm trying, but reality keeps getting in the way . . . :(

I'm surprised to see so much negativity about small reels. Ben Martinez introduced me to them, and I've been enjoying mine. Fits in a pocket, and is SO much faster to pull out than a spool!

I have a 200ft Larry green reel. I like it, but its not a "fit in your pocket" thing. I bought it for looooong jumps where using a 150ft spool would be annoying. I don't think its ever actully been cave diving though. I have used it to search for wrecks in the Lake.

What if you had another team in the water that got confused by this circuit,and accidently went back into the cave with a silt out or no lights situation. Sounds like the line should be replaced so it isn't so close together,and takes away that problem. There was a cave system where a jump was very close to the main line,and common practice was to pull the main line over to the rock the jump line was on,making a "snap and gap". Another team unaware of this went up the wrong line when exiting having not seen that another team did this,and they didn't notice it(at least this is the conjecture since dead people can't talk)

Ideally it would just be a T not a jump. There's really no need for a jump there at all. The "mainline" is already ~300ft back from the sign and it just makes this small loop through the room with the 4ft gap back to your own reel at the end, assuming you travel counterclockwise as most people do.

The little reel I have is the second one Jax links to. And by "pull out", I meant remove -- it's probably a little bit faster to deploy a spool, but it's SO much nicer, for something like the HoTul gap or the run to the Swiss Siphon, to have a reel to wind up!

The little reel I have is the second one Jax links to. And by "pull out", I meant remove -- it's probably a little bit faster to deploy a spool, but it's SO much nicer, for something like the HoTul gap or the run to the Swiss Siphon, to have a reel to wind up!

Glad you clarified, I was thinking this was the preferred birth control method of teens.

I use the discontinued reels and leave them on my hip when I'm diving. I find it easy to deploy them and remove them. I feel more secure putting them in place as well. I do use a spool for my safety, as it can't jam and in 0 viz I don't want to be dicking around with a jammed reel while doing a lost line drill.

No one commented on pre-gapping circuits like godzilla, so I'll assume this is acceptable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom