Vitamin E and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Is there any scientific validity to the claim that vitamin E
helps prevent DCS? If so, what is the theory?

DepartureDiver:
I thought it was CNS since it is an anti-ox vitamin.

It might be...I saw it somewhere and don't remember for sure.

Lawman:
Is there any scientific validity to the claim that vitamin E
helps prevent DCS? If so, what is the theory?
I think it's vitamin EAN

DepartureDiver:
I thought it was CNS since it is an anti-ox vitamin.

If it keeps you healthier overall, then it could (by default) help prevent CNS. But that blanket statement also covers a ton of other vitamins, minerals, and activities.

Vitamin E is unlikely to help, aside from normal health. In the study you quoted, the rats that did poorly were vitamin E deficient, there was not much change in normal Vitamin content diets or supplemented diets.

Hello Readers:

Vitamine E

I have not heard anything concerning vitamine E other than good nutrition makes healthier bodes. This chemical is good for controlling reactive oxygen intermediates and will play some role in CNS oxygen toxicity.

The rat study quoted by James Goddard concerns “decompression” in a different sense that used by divers. “Decompression” in medicine is the rapid removal of a localized pressure. This might refer to a swollen brain following stoke (in this case) of the removal of pressure and the reappearance of hemorrhaging (in for example an abdominal bleeding). :11:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom