Vitamin E and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the V-E and DCS in a question contained in a dive mag. The answer was that it was "theoretically possible" that V-E
could help. I just didn't remember any details.

Thanks Doc and others.....that's what ScubaBoard is for. A great source of information on diving subjects. :07:

Lawman:
I saw the V-E and DCS in a question contained in a dive mag. The answer was that it was "theoretically possible" that V-E
could help. I just didn't remember any details.

Thanks Doc and others.....that's what ScubaBoard is for. A great source of information on diving subjects. :07:
Welcome, Lawman. It maybe as part of a bigger issue around the effect of anti-oxidants on reducing decompression stress, but there are many players such as drugs and Vit C, as I recall.

Saturation:
It maybe as part of a bigger issue around the effect of anti-oxidants on reducing decompression stress, but there are many players such as drugs and Vit C, as I recall.
So, why E? There are other anit-ox's out there, but I've only really heard about vit-E. Does it have some property that other anti-ox's don't have? Or did someone just start with vit-E for some unknown reason and it just spread from there?

Dr Deco:

The rat study quoted by James Goddard concerns “decompression” in a different sense that used by divers.
:). It was simply the result of a Google search on "vitamin e decompression study". Thanks for the explainaintion of the term as it applys here.

James

DepartureDiver:
So, why E? There are other anit-ox's out there, but I've only really heard about vit-E. Does it have some property that other anti-ox's don't have? Or did someone just start with vit-E for some unknown reason and it just spread from there?
There are articles discussing Vitamin E and diving:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=4502630

In general, its a lipid soluble vitamin that has a role in stablizing lipid membranes, which are negatively affected by free radicals 0- in oxidative stress.

As there is a body of work on the role of oxidative stress in diving, both from a DCI and 02 toxicity viewpoint, it seems logical to try to link the two, in vitro ... but I am unaware of any benefits shown to date even in animals studies.

Also, the rat study mentioned in this thread isn't, as Dr. D states, related directly to diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom