Does past instances of DCS increase your susceptibility to future DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All

New member and first time poster here. I'm sure this question has been discussed before. I've tried searching the forum but haven't been able to find anything. So apologies if this is rehashed.

But quite simply. Does having dsc in the past increase your chance of getting it again? If the answer is yes. Is it simply that there might be a underlying issue that hasn't been diagnosed? (Eg PFO) or is it a case that damage from past DCS (scarring etc) can make off gassing more difficult in the future and therefore dcs more likely?

If option 2 is correct then would each hit of DCS be reducing your ability to dive in the future?

Reactions: OTF
DCS history. An individual’s history of DCS may indicate a greater predisposition, either physiologically or behaviorally. The importance of history may also extend to a buddy since his or her actions can influence the outcome of a shared activity.

This is copied from DAN. There isn't further explanation with a quick search. Here his the link: The Many Factors in Decompression Stress

DCS history. An individual’s history of DCS may indicate a greater predisposition, either physiologically or behaviorally. The importance of history may also extend to a buddy since his or her actions can influence the outcome of a shared activity.

This is copied from DAN. There isn't further explanation with a quick search. Here his the link: The Many Factors in Decompression Stress
Thanks for the link

I read the section at the bottom about acclimatisation (both negative and positive) I wonder if that is only relevant to a multi dive trip or if it's also true over a lifetime.

If you've gotten bent, then you're more likely to get bent again- because there's probably something about your physiology that makes you more prone to being bent. In this case, it's not that being bent makes it more likely to happen, rather it's an indication that you're more likely to get bent.

Another example- you get bent because you're reckless and push the NDL limits or take extra short surface intervals or do too much drinking during dive vacations- and you get bent as a result of such behavior. That would be another example of how your behavior is in an indication that you are at greater risk of it happening again (unless you change the behavior).

But no, to the best of my knowledge, actually "getting bent" doesn't make a diver more prone to it happening again.

Hello All

New member and first time poster here. I'm sure this question has been discussed before. I've tried searching the forum but haven't been able to find anything. So apologies if this is rehashed.

But quite simply. Does having dsc in the past increase your chance of getting it again? If the answer is yes. Is it simply that there might be a underlying issue that hasn't been diagnosed? (Eg PFO) or is it a case that damage from past DCS (scarring etc) can make off gassing more difficult in the future and therefore dcs more likely?

If option 2 is correct then would each hit of DCS be reducing your ability to dive in the future?
Lots written on this complex topic (see Bennett & Elliott, and Bove & Davis). Conclusion is yes to cumulative probability. Exact mechanism(s) (predisposition, changing physiology, cumulative neurological damage, or bad practices, or combination) not clear.

Here is an interview with Steve Bogaerts discussing the DCS cases that ended a prodigious (30 year) cave exploration career. In the end Steve was getting bent in 15-20 ffw. He attributes possible causes to a previous hit(s) diving in the Pit (350+ffw) twenty+ years earlier and/or sub-clinical hits doing lots of saw tooth profiles (40-150 ffw) in places like Abaco.

Yes and no. I got a serious bend 15+ years ago on a deep Trimix dive. Six weeks later, I was back at it and have had no issues continuing to dive. I know of two other divers that got bent and have symptoms come back after relatively shallow recreational dives, 60ft range. So, there are some rare cases where future diving is impacted.

Back
Top Bottom