Volcano Orfice regrind On a conshelf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When the Conshelf was first introduced it was advertised and it capitalized on using the exact same well proven first stage as the Royal Aqua Master. I believe that the very first Conshelf did not have a back-up ring either (I am not positive about this), but it was added and retrofitted into all of them.

You are correct about this. I got a confirmed original conshelf VI that was never rebuilt and it only had the -006 o-ring in the spring block, with no backup ring. The spring block is also different from the later models in that I had trouble actually trying to fit a backup ring in it at all. My conshelf XI and XII have the later style spring block that the more modern conshelf regulators have. I believe that they feature some sort of design difference (height perhaps) to facilitate the backup ring addition.

The very early spring blocks were shorter. It was not intended for the back-up ring.

The second generation spring block was longer to allow for the back-up ring, but it still looked like a crown.

At some point, they reduced the O-ring capturing lip (increasing the hole opening) of the spring block to make it easier to install the back-up ring and the O-ring.

The latest spring blocks have a square head and are the longest with a large opening to install both the back-up ring and O-ring. The latest spring blocks can be retrofitted to all Conshelf and Royal Aqua Master. They are the easiest to service since removing and re-installing the O-ring can be easily done with minimal risk at scratching the sealing surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom