Voltage converter? What is PI voltage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, it's time for me to get crackin about my trip and I need to buy a voltage converter because my Canadian/US appliances surely won't work in PG. I searched the forum, but didn't find the info. So can somebody help me out? What voltage/ frequency will I find in PG? What type of plug is needed (prong type). And/or what type of converter do I need for US type current appliances? There seems to be a whole bunch out there and I want to avoid buying the whole lot (that money could be better spent buying PPDers beer in PG!:D).

Thanks for your help Gang!:coffee:

Hi all, it's time for me to get crackin about my trip and I need to buy a voltage converter because my Canadian/US appliances surely won't work in PG. I searched the forum, but didn't find the info. So can somebody help me out? What voltage/ frequency will I find in PG? What type of plug is needed (prong type). And/or what type of converter do I need for US type current appliances? There seems to be a whole bunch out there and I want to avoid buying the whole lot (that money could be better spent buying PPDers beer in PG!:D).

Voltage is 220-240 with standard prongs like the U.S. What are you concerned about using? I have battery chargers for my Canon G7 that are dual voltage and my AA charger for my Inon strobe is dual voltage as well so I haven't had any issues. Be careful with the voltage converter if you do need one as the nice little travel one I have for other countries warns that it can only be used for 2 hours before it overheats - for longer times you need a converter about the size of a toaster as I see in some of the remote island restaurants.

Also try get the 3- to 2-prong converter since 2-prong outlets are more common. I also had problems with some of my 2-prong appliances that had one fat prong and one thin prong. The fat prong won't fit directly in the 2-prong outlets so just keep that in mind (I just had to plug into a power bar).

The voltage in the Philippines is 220-VAC, 60-Hz. 2-prong plug where both prongs are narrow. Just as chip104 says. You should be able to find a 220-VAC to 110 or 120-VAC, 60-Hz transformer at RadioShack (aka The Source)or some other place that sell Asian electronics. The missing 10-volts should not matter that much for 120-VAC appliances. I got a nice one at a Dollar Store. The size of the transformer should match to the total # of watts of appliances you want to plug in a given time. Add 10% headroom to that power capacity as a safety factor. Now, a bit of advice concerning voltage ratings. Many transformers are rated in VA (Volt-Amp) as opposed to Watts. In general or for quick reference, 1 VA appox. = 0.7 watts.

A little bit of Ohms law for you to help you calculate Power. Power = Voltage x Current. In case your appliances do not have a power rating, multiply 120-VAC x 0.25A (for example) which comes out to roughly 30-VA which is close to 30-watts. Remember, mA (Milli-Amp) means 1/1000 of an Amp.

I hope this helps.

You guys are great! Thanks! It's mainly for my battery charger. It needs 120V, 60 HZ and 6 W. Although, charging batteries will require 12-15 hours... I wonder if the adaptors will take it? JBB seems to suggest 2 hours max... :popcorn:I'll have to check that out!

Thanks all!:coffee:

phil's physics equation gave me a headache... hahahahahahhaa

most outlets look like this
Outlet2Prong.jpg

i highly reco you bring along one of these w/ a built-in circuit breaker... helps if you've got a lot to charge and not many outlets to charge them in... best to get one that accepts both flat and round prongs that way you don't have to fiddle with smaller adapters if you unit is round (couldn't find the right image online)
pic%5Cpictures%5Clevel1%5C656252.png

and if your chargers say 120-240V then you won't have any problems at all...

hope this helps

Jag

Hope this helps Electricity Around the World

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom