Volunteer Divers Needed for marine conservation surveys in Raja Ampat, West Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Sea Sanctuaries Trust seeks volunteer scuba divers in Raja Ampat

clip_image002.png
Help Conservation in Raja Ampat!

Volunteer and join one of our conservation expeditions.

Our 25 day and 50 day programs provide you with a unique opportunity to spend time in the most biodiverse marine conservation area in the world. Raja Ampat is renowned as the epicentre of biodiversity and Sea Sanctuaries Trust has a total of 70,000ha 100% conservation area in the heart of Raja Ampat at the entrance to the Dampier Straights.
clip_image004.png
We are looking for qualified scuba divers to volunteer to join our project and assist in collecting vital baseline data and monitoring changes in fish and coral populations within our conservation areas and, to work in our social development programs with the local communities. Volunteers will spend time on the liveaboard dive boat Hang Tuah as well as in a basic homestay in one of the villages working with the local community, including teaching English and undertaking fish catch surveys.

Volunteers can expect to undertake at least 30 dives + manta tows during their stay. Conditions are basic and the area remote so volunteers need to be patient and tolerant as well as resourceful. Volunteers will be expected to assist with cooking, cleaning, filling tanks and other general activities relating to the operation.
clip_image006.png
clip_image008.png
clip_image010.png

Spaces are available for a maximum of 6 volunteers at any one time.
Discounts are available for volunteers with additional qualifications such as in medicine or education.
Prices ex- Sorong include transfers to the site, all food and accommodation, training, diving, transfers, around the islands. Scuba equipment is available for hire.

25 days US$ 3,500*
50 days US$ 6,000*

Equipment hire I set @ US$300 for 25 days
For more information please see www.seasanctuaries.org and contact helen@seasanctuaries.org or amberc@singnet.com.sg
*prices quoted are for ex-Sorong.

Equipment hire I set @ US$300 for 25 days
For more information please see www.seasanctuaries.org and contact helen@seasanctuaries.org or amberc@singnet.com.sg
*prices quoted are for ex-Sorong.

we felt that we should respond to the two negative posts above. We are definitely not a subliminal tour company. We are a registered UK charity managing two large no take zones amounting to 700 square kilometres of the most biologically diverse habitat on earth. A recent Conservation international report stated that we have two of the most biodiverse reefs in Raja Ampat. This area is threatened by destructive fishing, shark finners, logging and a number of other ecological threats. It needs protecting and we have got up and done something about it. We are asking for people (we call them volunteers) to help us undertake baseline surveys to determine the current health of our very large marine protected area. At the same time we ask our volunteers to contribute to our costs & help keep Sea Sanctuaries going because we have a 25 year commitment to protect this area and it is difficult to rattle the collecting can for that long. So, again, we have got off our chairs and we are trying to find sustainable funding to keep the project going and let some people get involved. if you don't believe us come and see for yourselves. Our first volunteers will be joining us in December and we hope will provide feedback on this Forum.

You didn't lose me at the price, you lost me when I read I had to do scullery work too.

Last edited:
Not looking good for the next few years, but if this will be going on for 25 yrs I'd be interested in the experience.

---------- Post Merged at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Ditto for the wife.

we felt that we should respond to the two negative posts above. We are definitely not a subliminal tour company. We are a registered UK charity managing two large no take zones amounting to 700 square kilometres of the most biologically diverse habitat on earth. A recent Conservation international report stated that we have two of the most biodiverse reefs in Raja Ampat. This area is threatened by destructive fishing, shark finners, logging and a number of other ecological threats. It needs protecting and we have got up and done something about it. We are asking for people (we call them volunteers) to help us undertake baseline surveys to determine the current health of our very large marine protected area. At the same time we ask our volunteers to contribute to our costs & help keep Sea Sanctuaries going because we have a 25 year commitment to protect this area and it is difficult to rattle the collecting can for that long. So, again, we have got off our chairs and we are trying to find sustainable funding to keep the project going and let some people get involved. if you don't believe us come and see for yourselves. Our first volunteers will be joining us in December and we hope will provide feedback on this Forum.

As a UK Charity you come under the UK Companies Act 2006 and can still make a profit, but not pay dividends. I've audited a similar, long established 'volunteer' conservation organisation, where the directors were living a very good life off volunteer's money. So please don't think being a charity makes it all right – it just gives you some Tax advantages.

I have no issue with your objectives, just your marketing. I have 'volunteered' before, and was the Diving Officer for one group. So yes I know what's involved living in a tent or basher for months at a time, in the Caribbean.

There is a similar operation in Southern Belize, but rather than ask for 'volunteers' they offer conservation holidays where divers dive with a purpose, e.g. collecting scientific data on the reef. They work closely with Government organisations and have won international recognition for the work undertaken.

So yes I know only too well what's involved and I believe hiding behind the 'volunteer' banner is misleading. Be open and run a holiday company that offers punters the opportunity to undertake conservation diving. Then at least people know up front what you're really about.

Kind regards

Edward you are absolutely justified in pointing this out. During my first year as an undergraduate student back in 2007, I participated as a "volunteer" diver with Operation Wallacea in Honduras. They are essentially marketing this idea to young and naive students and, although the cause may be noble, it is nevertheless wrong to take advantage of our circumstances. Our only issue is that these types of companies should be more upfront. Label these activities as student dive holidays, it is as easy as that.

Good day,

José

I disagree with all of the above comments. Call me a "young and naive student" (because I am...somewhat) but this sounds like a great opportunity! Living somewhere isnt free, and of course staff need to cover expenses. I have always wanted to dive at Raja Ampat, truly an awesome place to dive!

To the Sea Sanctuaries staff, I am an instructor with background experience in Scientific Diving at my university. This sounds like a great thing I can put on my resume for grad school. I am going to look into this, best of luck with everything for now! :)
Cheers,
-Tyler

In my mind a truly volunteer program should not charge their volunteers more than a bare minimum to come and work for them. The rest should be covered by fund raising. If they cant raise any funds they probably arent a worthwhile charity or dont know what they are doing. I have no idea about THIS program, but I have seen many that charge their "volunteers" far more than it would cost them to just go there and dive as a tourist. To me that makes ZERO sense and is just taking advantage of peoples good intention and lack of knowledge. I dove with "volunteers" in Fiji that were paying a TON more then I was to be there and working besides. When that happens I always suspect that the "charity" may be billed as "non-profit" but there is someone that started the thing paying themselves a LOT of money to run the "non-profit". Just because a charities books show no profit does not mean that the people working their are not well paid and making a very nice profit.

Again, to make it perfectly clear, I am NOT saying that THIS poster or charity falls into the category I have described because I have not looked into them and how much their administrators are making. I also have not looked into what it costs to live and dive in that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom