Volunteer Diving at The National Aquarium in Baltimore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do the divers trying out have to bring their own gear for the pool sessions in the beginning of the process?

Yes you will need to bring your own diving equipment with everything that you will need to make a dive for the in-water test. I believe you will be sent a letter that indicates this.

Good Luck !

NAIBDiver1

Hey all,

It's been a long time since I've posted on this thread, mostly since I no longer dive at the National Aquarium. Since my short time there, I've come to have some pretty strong feelings about marine mammals in captivity, and I wanted to share a link with everyone, which I hope you'll check out when you can: ASHERAT | An online network of peple determined to save the oceans

The idea behind ASHERAT is to provide a forum for folks who care deeply about the ocean, its inhabitants and our impact on it. It sprang from my old blog posts about aquariums and the captivity industry, but it doesn't have to just be about that today. It is a social network whose content will be determined by the members—not necessarily "like-minded" people, but all "well-minded" people.

On ASHERAT.org, members can create profiles, start discussion forums, share links, @message each other, etc. It's like the Facebook for ocean lovers! :) Except I won't be advertising on it, making any money off it, or collecting any personal data. This is just a 21st Century Soapbox. I just want to keep the conversation going.

I do tread lightly here because I have no intention of creating conflict, though I know I may disagree with many of you on some engaging issues. but after years working with conservation organizations and having worked as a volunteer diver at NAIB, I can say with certainty that we all have the best intentions, even if our preferred approaches may differ.

So again, I wanted to share the link as an opportunity to centralize the conversation. I appreciate you guys checking it out and I welcome feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

ASHERAT | An online network of peple determined to save the oceans

bump... so I'm a fairly new diver... going to take my AOW this spring...

should i wait a few years at least before i volunteer?... is it hard for a rookie to get in?

bump... so I'm a fairly new diver... going to take my AOW this spring...

should i wait a few years at least before i volunteer?... is it hard for a rookie to get in?

To answer your question, I don't know. I've been interested in joining but unable to get off one work day every other week from my job. I know one diver there and she's a PADI DM. The water test sounds interesting.

Here's the information that I received from them via email recently:

As a diver interested in the National aquarium's volunteer dive program, you will be kept up-to-date with important details and alerts about the recruitment process. Presently, there are plans for a major renovation of our Wings in the Water exhibit. It will close after Labor Day 2012 and re-open as a neo-Pacific exhibit in May 2013. Since divers play an important role in the care and maintenance of this exhibit and its animals, additional and alternate volunteer responsibilities are being considered as this project's start date approaches. While this is happening, we thought it best to postpone our new diver recruitment from late winter to June 2012 at the earliest. You will still receive details and pertinent dates of the recruitment well in advance of its start - approximately 5-6 weeks. Until then, we thank you for your patience and your continued support of the National Aquarium's Dive Program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom