Volunteer Diving for the Nat Aqarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Throw Back

Reaction score
Hello out there,

I'm going to be starting the screening process to be a diver for the National Aquarium in Baltimore this January. I know that there are at least a couple people on this board who are part of that program. I was wondering what the skills tests are like, the pool tests in particular. I'm really excited at the possibility of being able to dive through the winter (I'm starting to get the shakes from dive withdraw), seeing all the animals, as well as meeting and learning from all of the people. I would appreciate any pointers that anyone has pertaining to the screening process.

Thanks,
Jim

...it's not worth the aggravation. I practically aced all of the tests/interviews/etc./training and I've been waiting almost a year to be added to a team. That includes many pestering emails and phone calls. The problem with me is that I only have weekends available to volunteer. If you are in the same boat, I wouldn't bother with it. If you have time during the week, or you are an exceedingly patient person - go for it. I figure I've wasted close to 100 hours in training, exams and driving, not to mention 100's of miles on the car and 100's of dollars for a dive physical. Oh yeah, and $35 for a uniform shirt...

That being said, the written test is very easy. Mostly stuff right out of the OW written exam. There were only 5 questions (out of 50 or 60) that had anything to do with animals. If you make that cut, the dive test is way easy. Neutral Buoyancy, problem solving, snorkeling/freediving, swimming, equipment assembly and the underwater-human-habitrail. The interview was actually pretty fun. Just think of something about yourself that will make you stand out. I told them that I made beer and wine. If you pass all of that stuff, you do 5 saturdays of general aquarium training. After that, you get assigned to a dive team for 5 more days of dive specific training and then you're in.

Feel free to PM me if you want to keep discussing this off-line, or post replies here and I will be glad to answer them publicly too.

-Frank =-)

This sounds pretty interesting and had heard of the program, but not known anyone directly involved. How do you register/apply? I would be extremely interested.

Marc

www.aqua.org - go to the volunteer section and there should be an application form somewhere... you might be a little late for this year. although with the major flooding thanks to isabel, they might still be running a little behind and you might still be able to get in on the written test.

-Frank =-)

P.S. - Sorry about my last post on the subject. Was my frustration showing? As I understand it, the person who makes the team assignments has changed and there has been better communication between those of us on the waiting list and those teams that really need divers. I'm not actively diving yet, but should be shortly. It really is a good program and a good institution, so by all means - if you have the time, volunteer. If you have any other questions that I can help with let me know.

Thanks Frank,

I just went on the website, and filled out their contact information. It seems like the information that they requested was pretty sparse, just basically how to get in touch with you. I am not exactly sure how they will narrow it down to "18-20" divers, based on the info they requested. Oh well... I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Marc

Pretty much, you fill out the volunteer form. If you selected "Diver," they get you on the list for the written test. They take the top 40 or so scores from that and invite those people for dive/swim tests and interviews. From that list, they pick the couple dozen that they need to help fill the typical attrition rate for one year. That's not too much turnover though. They have 14 dive teams with a dozen or so divers. Some come from as far as Atlanta, Georgia for their bi-weekly work day.

Good Luck,
-Frank =-)

I know one of divers and will pass this link on.

INteresting to hear. I am also applying for the program and was going to ask the same questions. As I understand it you pick a day and then go every other week right? So if I could do, say Wednesday, I would work every other week... I think I can convince my boss to let me do this and pick up on Sat or something...

So the questions are mostly diving skills? I was going to get a basic marine life book out of the library. Any suggestions?

I told on the NAIB's dive captains about this thread. She joined the board recently but with the holiday I'm not sure when she will respond.

Dive captain = volunteer supervisor for a particular crew.

Hey MikeC, thanks for passing the word along. Even as a non-diving diver (i.e. - not on a team), I still get the requests for substitute divers and it really irks me sometimes that the same WEEKEND teams are asking for subs because they are understaffed. If the weekend teams are understaffed and they have over a dozen divers waiting in the wings, what's the deal??

DCDivenut, literally - out of the 50 to 60 questions on the written test, only 5 had to do with animals. Basic stuff like, "A dolphin is a ...Fish ...Mammal" - you get the point. Just make sure that you are brushed up on your tables. They are another 5 or so questions. If you can pass your written OW exam, this one should be cake. That being said, If you've recently taken the written tests for a Divemaster class, it's almost identical. It cracked me up that one of the people I knew locally sat for the written exam and bombed it. They had recently become a Divemaster too... How does that happen???

Well, it's time for bed...

-Frank =-)

Back
Top Bottom