Vortex Missing Diver Incident - Aug 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is becoming more and more obvious that training is coming dangerously close to "too abbreviated." Divers being turned out are given a very brief overview of many things, and have less and less deep discussions or understandings. They might be told not to go into overhead, but you would simply not believe how many divers I meet who tell me all about their dives that go way past the limits of their open water training. That is anecdotal evidence, true, but I firmly believe that divers are not nearly as well educated now as they were even 5 years ago.

I agree that open water instructors pose high risk, as they feel they know everything about diving. Another high risk category are those open water divers who dive in caves without training. They venture in slowly at first then gain experience. Their experience makes them feel like cave diving is easy. maybe they go with a buddy who is cavern or intro certified, maybe they read up on cave diving on the internet. They begin to feel as if they know everything they could learn in a cave course, and like they are invincible. They feel like the open water divers who die in caves are less skilled than them.

They begin to perceive a very low cost of cave diving, as they never experience any downside. Then, they make a mistake, and they pay with their life. Then, we see that the average cost per dive was huge, if you "amortized" or "depreciated" the expense. For example, if they died on the 6th cave dive, then you could assume that the average cost per dive was a limb. However, because you don't pay limb by limb, they feel as if there is no cost to cave diving until they die.

So lets say Ben dives caves a lot. Perhaps he's done 100 dives inf ront of the grate. Then he's done 20 within 100 feet of the grate on the other side. He gets a deco bottle, he feels he knows what he is doing. He goes in further this time, an something happens. Most likely, something easy that we are trained to deal with in a cave class. He is too bouyant or negative. A light fails. A fin falls off, his mask floods, he loses the main line, the line breaks, a freeflow, a siltout, an entanglement, something happens. There are hundreds of little things that could happen to a diver, that we practice in cave training, that you don't practice with the "gradually easing into cave diving" method. Especially if you dive alone, no one is there to critique you or push you. Things snowball. It's easy to claw your way into a tight spot when you are literally out of your mind.

I don't think you can imagine a siltout if you haven't experienced one. The water is cold. The silt feels slightly warm against your face and hands. You can't tell which way isup. Your light, bright enough to cause eye damage normally, cannot be seen. Not even a glow, until it is within an inch of your mask. It is darkness like you cannot possibly imagine. You get more than 2 feet from the line, and suddenly it is worlds away. You have to know what to do at that point, or else all is likely lost. You must pull out your safety spool or reel, tie off on a rock, and feel your way back to the mainline. If he didn't have the safety, or if he dropped it, or if it jammed, or if he forgot about it in a panic because he'd never practiced, then he's in the dark. With the broken line, I tend to think there might have been an entanglement. either that, or in a siltout, perhaps he pulled on the line, and it snapped, leaving him lost again. Either way, he would have literally been out of his mind, I would imagine. Having been in a siltout like I just described, my heart almost stopped for the 2 seconds it tok to reach out and grab the line. It seemed like an eternity. Then, there was a line trap, a place where the line went that I couldn't fit, I had to extend my arm all the way and squeeze through, in that silt so dark I would describe it as negative visibility. Without training, I would likely have died in the cave that day. With training, having gone through that exercise before, I was still extremely scared for a few seconds. It was a "come to jesus" dive where I had to evaluate whether I wanted to keep diving.

Basically what I am trying to say is, the people most at risk are the Ben's, who gradually enter caves and find it safe. Without training, little things can kill you. I do not know what happened down there, what i wrote above was just my attempt to describe how a person could panic. I don't want anyone to ever go through that, which is why I am so...busily? trying to point out how bad it is that people enter caves routinely without training.

All of you friends and family reading this, I really am sorry for your loss. Having two friends who died, and having read the accident reports and talked to the recovery divers, I never want anyone to die in a panic in a cave. I am incredibly anxious to prevent there from being more Ben's, and I hope that sentiment comes through in my posts. I don't mean to seem rude. I am praying just as you are that Ben's remains are found quickly so he can be given a proper, respectful burial, and I will join you in a moment of silence out of respect for the deceased at that time.

PLEASE do not think any of this information comes close to teaching you how to cave dive! I described some actions taken by a cave diver, but it in no way comes close to teaching you the proper way to act in these circumstances. Anything I post is no substitute to training!

Organized recovery efforts are done. There is evidence in the cave that indicates the location of the body. There may be one more dive conducted there to attempt to visualize the body, but body extraction is not planned. It is too small to conduct a safe recovery.

The recovery divers are all wearing dry suits. The diver was in a wet suit. The recovery divers have been diving trimix. The diver was NOT diving trimix. While this dive could be conducted safely by a trained AND experienced cave diver, and IMO would be safer solo, this is a very advanced dive that requires advanced training and experience. The diver had neither. He had no formal training in overhead or decompression diving. Basically, this was an OW diver who went way beyond his training and experience levels and paid the highest price for this error in judgment. He was not given a key to the gate, but managed to get past it anyway. I know he had been warned about the dangers of cave diving and the need to get the appropriate training. He chose to ignore that warning.

I think I should add this, it might give perspective.

One thing that you guys have to realize, is that true zero viz means you can't see the glow of your light when pointed straight in front of you. Once you can't see, you're following a line that could be trapped, trying to avoid pulling on it so it doesn't break, and things start going faster.

About 2 or 2 1/2 years ago, I dove Telford Springs for the first time. Telford used to be a tourist cave until land access was shut down due to a murder on site and kid who got drunk and broke his neck jumping out of a tree. Since then, silt isn't stirred up and blown out often, so visibility on exit degrades quickly. We started with 50-75ft of viz, and on the way out, had 5, then 10, and finally 15ft just before our exit. This was very unnerving for someone who had only dove Ginnie, Peacock, Jackson Blue, etc, as a "siltout" in these caves typically means 50ft of viz from 200ft.

As time goes on, you get yourself into more and more silt outs as you see more complex cave. You also become more proficient at navigating those silt outs. Since the Telford dive, I've been in varying degrees of silt, luckily progressively worse as I get more comfortable. Even when viz is less than 5ft, I'm averaging less gas coming out with flow than going in.

A few years back, 2 OW divers died in Royal Springs, about p600ft back. I dove there about a year ago, and the entire dive kept thinking to myself "how did OW divers go that far", it's incredibly silty, and a large portion of the community state that "There's 2 reasons to dive Royal, to become a body or retrieve one". My only conclusion with that is that they knew they had silted the place out, attempted to turn around, and went the wrong way. These divers went further than I felt comfortable doing in that cave.

2 weeks ago, I was diving a river cave on the Suwannee, when I saw a jump that looked like it went somewhere, so I hopped over to check it out. After going about 250 ft down it, with a bottle off to avoid scraping the crap out of the rock, I saw that the silt on the ceiling was causing the viz to degrade rapidly. I went to turn around, and the oring on my LP hose decided to blow. After I shut it down, the ruckus had caused a silt out, and I was now in 1-2ft viz. I reached over and grabbed the line, started following it. After a minute or two, the line snapped, leaving me with a loose end. I reached to grab the other end, but all I was doing was stirring up silt. I patiently waited for almost 5 minutes to regain 3-5ft viz, and carefully looked for the line, which I found. After a short travel, I was reunited with the glow of my buddy's light, a great feeling. Waiting 5 minutes frozen in the cave isn't intuitive, it's something that you really need to be told, and there has to be some level of experience knowing when viz is as good as it's going to get for a while, so get out as soon as you can to save gas.

When many of you think about this accident who aren't' familiar with caves, keep in mind that one thing training does is expose you to "training caves", which are caves chosen for training based off of a variety of reasons, the main one being that they're typically larger and less silty than the off the path caves. Unfortunately, Vortex sounds like it has some very nasty passages, but also some very easy ones. Part of training is practicing those WSHTF drills, as well as learning the warning signs. We're taught that fine particles are easy to stir up, but clear fast. Sand is harder to stir, but clears almost instantly. Clay is the hardest to stir up, but stays in the water a very long time. This diver might have never gotten the chance to practice these drills with an instructor for critique, nor did he get the time to dive training caves to practice all skills. No instructor ever pointed out to him that holding still for 5 minutes can allow things to settle and then he can continue on (instinct says to hurry back to fresh air).

Imagine being low on air, with visibility so low that you can't see your light at all. You're crawling out, but can't see where you're going, so each movement makes the silt worse and worse because you're on the ceiling or floor. Not having done any of the required skills, or at least not having been critiqued on them, it's a very scary feeling I'm sure. I think it's very possible this diver meant to head OUT of the cave, and not INTO the cave. I don't have any supporting evidence other than how far back they think he is, these clay silt outs are fairly obvious when they start happening. Put yourself in the shoes of a diver who is at 160ft with gas going fast, knows he's in over his head, can't see anything, and gets slightly disoriented. This diver is going to leave visible marks as he claws his way on the edge of insanity. Previous similar deaths have resulted in divers who have clawed so hard their fingers are extremely torn up.

It's a sad situation, for family, friends, owners of vortex, and the cave community. It could have been prevented, but it wasn't and now the only good we can make out of it is use it as a learning tool. I bet after 30 dives of diving vortex, he knew enough to be confident, but didn't have the experience to know what he was getting himself into. It's very easy to get lulled into a false sense of security by diving the same cave over and over again. Remember that you can scooter Ginnie almost all the way back to the end of the line, even hovering 6in above the bottom with the prop. Then just beyond that, when Marius swam it, the entire system was blown out from silt. Sometimes only a few feet further can completely change a dive. This poor guy could have learned that by taking a class, but didn't. In Sheck's book, he talks about his near death experiences. Someone who most consider one of the greatest cave divers ever nearly died in Jug Hole (easy by today's standards) back when he was inventing the wheel. Fortunately so many mistakes have been made that we think we've devised a system to be as safe as possible, and this guy didn't take advantage of it.

This diver lacked the training and experience. Hopefully I've painted a clear picture of what most divers progress through and it helps you understand just how beyond his experience level this guy was. James T. has an incredible amount of experience in small cave, and if he can't get back there trying hard, I just can't imagine that anyone without cave training would intentionally attempt it.

I know that he came through our shop several times in the last few weeks. He was asking one of our cave instructors about classes. Once he found out the price he was no longer interested. I am not sure if he went to another shop inquiring. I also know that he told us that he tried to dive the Orsikany but was not allowed due to his current certification level. He was only rated to 100 feet. He also wanted to sign up for a tech course so he could go deeper. He mentioned that he was currently going through Dive con but had not finished. I know several cave divers warned him of the dangers of cave diving without proper training, but you could tell his personality was the kind that would do it regardless. He was definitely confident in his skills. To my knowledge none of this training had been completed. I do know that he posted his dive profile for the Vortex dive online. He posted as a Monday dive. I do not know if he postponed it to Wednesday or did it twice. I do know from the profile it was a hardcore dive for someone not properly trained. 8 bottles total, a 232 min. dive to 140 some odd feet.

Teaching the open water class, I stress to the students the importance of staying within their limits. Our first day of diving is at Vortex Springs. We always go over with them that as an open water diver they are to avoid overhead environments, especially caverns and caves. Unfortunately, you can only stress to them the dangers and make sure in the class the rules are followed. However, once they leave your side it is up to them. The more time they spend in the water the more comfortable and "confident" they become. This is where it can be dangerous for some. Some start to slowly push the limits, and once that limit is pushed they start to push more.

I am not a cave diver; I'm not certified in it nor have any interest. It is way too technical then I want to do. I respect it and those who do enjoy diving them and diving them properly. I am a big believer of not going beyond the spectrum of your training, instructors included. I have never been in a cave and won't without proper training. It is a completely different style of diving and people should respect that. No matter how many dives they have on their belt.

It is such an unfortunate accident which was preventable. All we can do is stress the importance of diving within the spectrum of your training and not what you consider your limits to be.

Prayers to the family and friends as well as those who have risked their lives for the recovery, hopefully this will all be over with soon.

I bet more than one of those rescure divers tinkered with how they could push farther than they may have been comfortable with to try to make thi recovery.

You would lose that bet. None of us wanted to be there doing this. We went to look for the body and turned when it was time. No one even thought about pushing farther than we went. The risks are just too high.

Since all of this is foreign to me could you explain the difference of a wet and dry suit and why you should wear one and not the other when making certain dives?

And what is trimix consist of? Is it required to cave dive and used specifically for cave diving only?

Thanks in advance.

A wet suit form fits to your body while a dry suit adds more bulk. The passage at the back of this cave is very tight and the bulk of a dry suit makes it much more difficult to get through.

Trimix is a mix of oxygen, nitrogen, and helium. It is highly recommended for deep diving. Nitrogen causes something called narcosis. The deeper one goes, the higher the degree of narcosis. Narcosis is what Jacques Cousteau called the Rapture of the Deep. Some people also call it the Martini effect. Every 50 feet of depth is equivalent to one martini. However, it's not that simple. At 150 feet in a tight cave with high flow, the narcosis is more equivalent to half a dozen martinis. So we add helium into our breathing gas to negate the narcosis. Ben was not diving trimix, so in essence, he was diving drunk. The recovery divers were diving trimix and thinking very clearly because of it. Rational thought prevailed and got us out of there alive.

As for diving at Vortex, it is open for OW diving. I don't believe cave diving is being allowed at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Unfortunately, you can only stress to them the dangers and make sure in the class the rules are followed. However, once they leave your side it is up to them...
I am a huge proponent of writing some things down. It isn't completely effective with everyone, but for most folks, if they write it down in their own hand, it has weight.
Therefore...
I have my open water students write, in their own hand, that they are to stay out of caves and other overhead environments. Most all tech instructors have students commit much of the dive plan to writing in some fashion, and I do too. And then I take it a bit further... for example, here's an excerpt from my Advanced Nitrox manual:
Using the Dive Planning Worksheet
General Information

Team Members: Here we record basic information about our team members that may have some bearing on the dive plan. We commit information like certification level, diving experience, and currency to writing as an exercise in reinforcement of a mature planning process. This section is there to remind us to consider these factors in the basic mission parameters, and to ensure we aren’t planning a dive that is outside the safe limits or capabilities of any team member. By writing down our experience we help eliminate situations where overconfidence, a “macho” attitude or even embarrassment may prevent a team member from speaking up where a part of the plan exceeds sound judgment and safety based on a diver’s current capabilities...
I highly recommend this approach to any diver who'll listen :)
Rick

The search is off because the section he is in is too small and the clay in that area could cause silt out and/or collapse?
No mount restrictions provide no room to turn around. Backing out in zero viz catches your fins, harness, and everything else on rock, it's just not an ideal situation. Clay is the worst type of silt, it's extremely fine and isn't carried out of the water with the flow as easily as normal silt/sand. When you're dragging all that stuff, you keep stirring up more and more clay so that you never reach clear water, as you're creating the same problem you're trying to swim out of.

Carrying a body while pulling 2 tanks, following a line, backwards, all in zero viz at 170ft just isn't worth it...this is just a body, it's not a rescue. These guys who are trying are the best around, they've laid lines in the nastiest of FL caves, and even they're concluding it's unsafe. The fact that James Toland isn't getting there says a LOT.

Another issue is the gas required to get back to that point. I looked at my last dive there and to get to 1500' back I used 55 cubes of an aluminum 80, under half the capacity of 2 hp100's and about 20 cubes of O2 for the entire 100 minute dive. A diver with only a deco bottle would need very large cylinders to make it back there with proper reserves.

Say like 2 deco bottles in OW, a stage in the cave, and SM'd HP130s?... and we have no idea if he adhered to any gas rule.
Was the key given to the diver without cert? Was the key giving to another diver and not turned in?

A key was not issued to the victim, he modified the gate with his own padlock to allow entrance.

Between the deep section and a high fissure crack there is a section about 250' long that is belly to back. There are also bends and such in the tunnel, not to mention the duck under immediately past the gate and grate.

You can swim all that, it gets much worse further out.

*sigh*

I don't post here on SB very much anymore. But those who know me, or have been in the water with me will hopefully understand what I am about to say.

After about 75-100 cave dives, I stepped away from it a few years ago. Some speculated it was because of the loss of my friend and former dive buddy at Jackson Blue. Some thought I had just lost interest, or that I got scared from a frightening experience I had in local cave. But really none of that was true.

The sad and true reason I stepped away from the sport was something mentioned a while back in this tread. It was the attitudes surrounding the sport. The attitudes by non-divers, by OW divers, and most often by certified cave divers.

The attitude that unless you push farther, deeper, and longer you are somehow "less qualified" or less of a "caver". The utter dismissal of the concept that someone may only be interested in doing shorter, less complex cave dives, even if they want a full certification card. The concept that the "goal" of diving a cave is not to reach the end of the line necessarily, or push new cave, or add to a map.

As much as we might not like it, our community breeds this thinking. It's ingrained in the training and curriculum, it's a topic of conversation at our annual conferences, and it's in our monthly journals. It is SO easy to get caught up in this beautiful and fun sport. The venturing into the unknown, or never-before seen. The desire to see things we've only read about in books. It's a place of wondrous adventure.

But all too often, it attracts exactly the wrong people to it. While there are hundreds of perfectly calm, responsible cave divers out there, there are the fringe groups who do it for the rush, or who do it for all the wrong reasons. Some of us ignore the warning signs. Others of us, see them, and try to raise the flag only to be summarily ignored. Someone here asked what can we do to save these people. Sadly, sometimes the answer is nothing.

In one case, I spoke to an individual's instructor on more than one occasion. I spoke to the diver twice and it caused a rift which was never healed. Finally, I simply refused to dive with that person again. Inside a year, he was dead.

I've lost friends to this sport. I've watched other friends do recoveries (like one working on this present recovery). And in one notable case, a friend of mine has had to recover another friend. At what point do we as a community own up to our behavior? At what point do we stop selling gas, or giving keys or information to those divers who do not act in the best interest of our sport? They won't police themselves. We have to do it, or watch the sport get vilified in the press, and the sites closed.

Maybe one well known agency has it right with cards that expire. Personally, I like that idea, but it handles the problem on the wrong end. We as a community of divers, instructors, site operators, fill operators, etc, NEED to have a way to recognize those who are consistently abusing our sport, and refuse to give these people the tools, means, and opportunity to put a black eye on the sport. I fear until that coordinated effort happens, we will continue to read about unfortunate accidents such as this. Yea, I know it's very "Big Brother", but if we don't handle the problem the REAL Big Brother will.

Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom