* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Update 11 April - Date for Vortoberfest III set in stone: October 19,20,21 2007

So... after preliminary discussions in another thread, and SupRbugman saying we needed a seperate thread for this, here's the Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega-dive planning thread

So let's talk dates first.

....October 2006
Su M Tu W Thu Fr Sat
....01 02 03 04 05 06
07 08 09 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

I think it was decided last year to do the same dates as last year. So that would be the weekend of Oct 13. But that could be changed if they change locations (see below).

There's been talk by several people of relocating the event from Vortex Springs to another location. Mostly due to people not wanting to dive Vortex that much and the increase of admission at Vortex to $32/day.

Destin, Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, and PCB St Andrews have been mentioned as locations. Destin is out pretty much because of lack of parking at the dive site (Jetties) and no place at the jetties to easily do a grill out.

The tides at St Andrews do not look favorable for any weekend in October either. (see tides below)

SupRbugman, can you post tides and location/site information for Gulf Shores/Orange Beach information? (Dive sites, tides, places to camp/stay such as Gulf State Park, etc?) This might be the favored "changed location" as it was sucessfull for the "Crab Grab" last year

So what are folks thoughts?????

Tides for St. Andrew Bay Channel entrance starting with October 1, 2007.
Day High Tide Height
Day /Low Time Feet

Sa 6 High 6:18 AM 1.7
Sa 6 Low 4:22 PM 0.3
Su 7 High 7:27 AM 1.4
Su 7 Low 4:16 PM 0.6

Sa 13 Low 7:48 AM 0.2
Sa 13 High 10:13 PM 1.8
Su 14 Low 8:44 AM 0.2
Su 14 High 10:52 PM 1.8

Sa 20 High 3:43 AM 1.7
Sa 20 Low 2:46 PM 0.1
Su 21 High 4:57 AM 1.6
Su 21 Low 3:07 PM 0.2

Sa 27 Low 7:30 AM -0.3
Sa 27 High 9:47 PM 2.1
Su 28 Low 8:52 AM -0.3
Su 28 High 10:45 PM 2.1

If it's the weekend of October 13th, I might actually be in the area (Vortex, PCB, possibly Morrison) already, which might mean I can drop in. (I don't have a schedule yet for the rest of October.)

Anyway, maybe I'll make it this time. (I'm fine with the Vorta, too, as I have a pass this year. *Somebody* had to represent that dark side, after all. :D)

October 13th would be cool.

Hey, who's trying to take over my Vortoberfest !?!?!?!?!?!

It's the 3rd weekend in October.

That's the way it is !

The Kraken

The date should be decided as a group, as it's the group who's going.... not just one person going.... although you are welcome to join us whatever date is decided :)

Although I'm not opposed to the 3rd weekend in October, but need to see when the wife is planning our son's first birthday party!. (his birthday is mid week following that weekend). Maybe we could bring him and have it there? (ok... yes she'd kill me).

Its been the same weekend for two years running with good attendance. *shrugs* No need to change a good thing, people have half a year to free up their calenders :)

Early morning high tides don't bother me, nor does diving low tides if we end up in an area that only has a channel to dive.

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach offers several beach dives that aren't effected by tides, as well as a set of jetties, bridge, seawall, ect. that are best dived during the tides. It also offers many options for boat dives without the need to drive farther out of the way. Gulf State Park offers cabins and tent camping and there are several pavillions on the grounds. Gulf Shores/Orange Beach both have several public beach access and many of them now have pavillions that can be used for a cookout.

Pensacola/Navarre Beaches would offer more of the same if they are able to open up one of the National Seashore parks(Pickens or the one in Navarre).

Then, of course, there is always Vortex. I won't be diving it, but I'll camp and dive the ever living crap out of Morrison, Cypress, and maybe even Becton :D

Well, seeing as how I was the one who originally started "Vortoberfest", I just sort of assumed that I might have some input.

Silly me !!!

the K

The Kraken:
Well, seeing as how I was the one who originally started "Vortoberfest", I just sort of assumed that I might have some input.

Silly me !!!

the K

Comon Kraken, lets get crackin, whats the plan this year?!

Back
Top Bottom