* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from my very 1st Vortoberfest. HOLY CRAP!:D

I really enjoyed it and will definitely make it a regular on my yearly calender.
The trip "started" bad. Loading the truck at 2:30 am on Friday morning, I almost had to use a dry snorkel just to breathe in the downpour. Everything had to be wrapped and packed in plastic bags to keep it from getting soaked. Left the house, fueled up, hit the highway and made it about 8 miles down the road and realized I left the map on the kitchen table. After back tracking, I'm now finally on the road @ 4:30am. WooHoo!
As I'm blasting through Birmingham, in a downpour, half asleep in the dark, I'm thinking: Awwright, on the down side of the trip. 40 mins. later I actually pay attention and see a sign; I-20/I-59.:confused: I"m supposed to be on 65, who switched the signs? Back tracked again, finally got where I was supposed to be. As the sun rose going to Montgomery, weather started clearing up and I looked at my wife and said, "See, the rain is letting up. No problem." We get 10-15mins. down the road from that brilliant statement when the bottom fell out of the sky again. I just kept my pie hole shut after that.
Made it the rest of the way to Vortex without any more incidents. As we arrived, the rain had quit and I (THOUGHT) to myself without vocalizing "See, the rain is letting up. No problem." After checking in and getting to the campsite, I unwrapped everything and just start to put up the tent when......... you got it, it started pouring again. At this stage, I didn't give a crap. I just worked through it. Once our site was set up and ready, it was time to take a nap. I woke up with the afternoon SUN shining in my face. I had passed out in the truck and never made it to the tent. Well, more folks had arrived and I just started to look around and ask, "Are you here for Vortoberfest? A couple folks I recognized from their avatars. I wasn't disappointed, everyone was just as I expected; friendly, outgoing, and fun to be around.
The festivities Sat. Night was awesome, there was so much good food (hat's off to the chef(s) Rick, Kraken (great stew), Clay, and anyone I missed (I apologize), good music, chicken dancin', and uh, um, er, drink. Diving was really fun. Got to do some dives I haven't done before. Thanks bunches Bugman, Snep, Grumby, and Yoda. I really appreciate y'all tolerating a newb. It was a pleasure!
Shane, thanks for the hospitality. You and your staff made for an enjoyable stay and I will return. This is one person that definitely had a great time. Again, to everyone: It was nice to meet all of ya, had a great time, and hope to see ya next year. :lotsalove:

(EDIT)
Man, I'm a slow typer. Can someone please move this to the V-Fest 2007 Report?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom