* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, Bubble Blowers,

Time to start marking your calendars for "Vortoberfest III".

Vortoberfest III will take place, once again at Vortex Spring (God willing it hasn't been sold) the weekend of October 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd.

Spots have been reserved and the Vortex personnel are awaiting us once again this year.

If you've never been, talk to those that have ! ! !

It's fun.

Come join us ! ! !

from all of the "Vortoberfest Vets" ! ! !

Haven't missed one yet, we'll have to get a ScubaBoard fleet together to invade Cypress while we're there.

I'll bring the Farm Fresh sausage, probably some Abita Beers.

The Kraken Stew will be there in abundance, bubbling and boiling away in the wicked Kauldron of The Kraken ! ! !

I'm planning to be at Vortoberfest this year; it's penciled in and everything (and not even conflicting... yet). If anyone has a mocktoberfest as well, I might be able to make that.

I'm marking my calender and clearing appointments! (as if I really have appointments for anything)

The Kraken:
IT'S THE 3RD WEEKEND IN OCTOBER ! ! ! ! ! !

That will make it the 19th, 20th and 22nd.

the K

as they used to say in the old country....

he with the cauldren of brunswick stew, makes the rules!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Gulf Shores/Orange Beach offers several beach dives that aren't effected by tides, as well as a set of jetties, bridge, seawall, ect. that are best dived during the tides. It also offers many options for boat dives without the need to drive farther out of the way. Gulf State Park offers cabins and tent camping and there are several pavillions on the grounds. Gulf Shores/Orange Beach both have several public beach access and many of them now have pavillions that can be used for a cookout.

:D

I think the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area is something to look at. In October the ocean water will still be warm and folks are kinda tired of diving Vortex, especially with their increased prices. Many people have already said they either wouldn't dive there or would do it reluctantly.

The pavillions would be great for a cookout. People could have the choice of camping or staying in a cabin at Gulf State Park.

It won't be crowded this time of year down there... this is definately s place that we should consider.

I'm all for doing it wherever, but Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is much more local to me :) So obviously, I wouldn't have any quips with it being moved here.

Last year, some of the group went to PCB(or Destin? can't remember) for boat dives anyway - this would put them much closer to the saltwater option. Alot farther away from freshwater though. Still, lots of free diving available, some of it can be really good, or really rough - its much more weather dependant in the Gulf than at the springs.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm all for doing it wherever, but Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is much more local to me :) So obviously, I wouldn't have any quips with it being moved here.

Last year, some of the group went to PCB(or Destin? can't remember) for boat dives anyway - this would put them much closer to the saltwater option. Alot farther away from freshwater though. Still, lots of free diving available, some of it can be really good, or really rough - its much more weather dependant in the Gulf than at the springs.

One of my thoughts is that Gulf Shores would offer some better lodging choices for anyone who might want to bring family members and didn't want to stay in the 'less-than-luxury' conditions of the accomadations at Vortex. :D

I think Rick and Tom and their parties usually crash in the GrandView Lodge, which isn't bad at all. I've been to far worse hotels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom