VT3 or Galileo Sol???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I'm not going to toss perfectly good backups to buy a cheaper one at this point. I don't think those existed when I bought mine either.

Agreed. I had two PTs, though, that I moved back and forth from singles to doubles. I split them up and moved one to live permanently on my singles rig, where I don't really need two backups anyway, and put the Raider on my doubles rig.

It's easy to find excuses if you want it! LOL

Agreed. I had two PTs, though, that I moved back and forth from singles to doubles. I split them up and moved one to live permanently on my singles rig, where I don't really need two backups anyway, and put the Raider on my doubles rig.

It's easy to find excuses if you want it! LOL

That's exactly what I've done as well ... although I've got the Raider 4.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's wrong with the PT-LED?

That's exactly what I've done as well ... although I've got the Raider 4.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The 4?! I thought they screwed up on the first batch of those and it'd be a few weeks.

The 4?! I thought they screwed up on the first batch of those and it'd be a few weeks.

They did, but a batch of about 100 were released a week or two ago and have been in consumers' hands for about a week. AFAIK we're still waiting for the Raider 3.

Nothing. It's just more expensive than some newer lights that are of similar quality.

Just curious which lights you're referring to?

I love my Oxy backup light, but I have to admit I'm more than happy to use it along my existing PT-LED. The Oxy is a great light, but there are things I prefer about the PT, even though the light output is definitely lower. I vastly prefer the Delrin to the Aluminum, for one thing, and the slimmer bezel... and the long track record of damn-near bullet-proof reliability.

In a pinch I would reach for the Oxy first, since it has more light output and would be less of a contrast to my HID. But I'd reach for the PT second, if the Oxy failed me, and KNOW it will work. (as much as anything can be predetermined, at least)

Nothing. It's just more expensive than some newer lights that are of similar quality.

I paid exactly the same ($140) for the Raider 4 that I paid for the PT LEDs. The PT's are much larger, and about half as bright. I have used, and liked, the PT's for a couple years now ... and they're a great light.

I just got the Raider 4 a week ago, and haven't yet used it underwater. I hope to do so this week-end. Will post a review in the appropriate forum when I do, which will most likely include some "comparison" shots of the PT and R4 side-by-side.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay, first off:

I just got the Raider 4 a week ago

I hate you!

Second:
I'd be willing to bet that just about everyone participating in this thread has some expensive toy that they love to dive with that isn't really necessary for the dives they're doing.

I'm actually prouder of the cheap stuff I have. I kinda like that my regs are 20 years old, and still working. The cheap SMB I bought, and modified to work exactly the way I want it. And the Custom TLS 350 that I picked up for...well, okay that one was expensive, but money well spent I think. And the custom Zeppelin patches are pure coolness.

All your buddies will routinuely claim your regs are leaking (through the unique dry piston port).

Yeah, THAT does get old after a while. Especially when it is the SAME buddy dive after dive after dive...

Tom

Well I have 2 PT-LEDs and they work great in the caves, so I don't see any point in playing "keeping up with the Jones' ". Heck I'll probably get a few more within a year or so -- nothing wrong with extra backup lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom