Vyper Air not working - Can it be saved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a vyper air (not new anymore) whose depth gauge first was way off, now, it just doesn't work at all -showing zero at 45'. I have soaked it, replaced the battery but I notice that when i shake it I hear...sand? I don't know if it has always made this sound or if it is supposed to make the sound or if it is something I can get out. I see 5 small holes in a semi-circle on the back which I suppose could let in sand but I am sure I shouldn't be going in there.

So, is this sound unique? Is it the cause of the depth gauge not working? Can it be fixed or do i now have a very expensive, if not ugly looking watch?

Unfortunately you most likely have a very expensive watch. I have read that depth sensors on certain models of suunto computers had faults or at least there where a larger than normal amount of failures. Unfortunately Suunto has not addressed this issue as what it appears (poorly manufactured sensors) and thusly if its out of warranty your out of luck.

I find this very sad because I really like Suunto products and have had nothing but exemplary service from them in the past. But I find it a bit odd that a dive computer like the Solution can continue to operate flawlessly for over 20 years and more than 1000 dives while a Cobra for instance, dies with less than 100 dives.

Hopefully I will get the same use of of my Eon that I did from my Solution (which I still use as a backup)

Sad....I guess I will be listing a transmitter for sale soon.

I had 3 of the suunto puck style computers. All of them had failed sensors.

I was curious about getting more invasive, so started throwing the puck against the wall (hard) to see how much effort it might take to break everything else, or perhaps jump start the sensor. The sensor never started, but nothing else broke either. With good sensors, I believe these things could run forever.

I tried to fill out the info to see if I could send it in to be repaired but Suunto's site is horrible. Tried several times from a couple of different computers and could not submit anything,

There are no repairs. Period. I tried it myself. The halves are glued together with what must be some kind of epoxy. They wouldn't come apart for me. I doubt there was ever an intention to service these things.

Back
Top Bottom