Vytec transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So we should be using Uwatec digital SPGs as our hoseless transmitter backups? :)

Makes sense about electronic being much more precise than mechanical - seeing as electronics either do or don't work, whereas mechanical can wear gears, loose tensile strength in springs, increasing friction from wear/contamination/loss of lubricant, plus Suunto is a precision instruments company - even though this is their first AI computer.

ronbo once bubbled...
So, unless TexasMike wants me to open up his beloved Vytec (please, Mike, I wanna see what's in it)
What makes this scarier is that I know what you do to support your diving habit and that you just might be qualified to figure out what's in side.

Thanks for the offer, but I prefer the "good side" photo for a momento versus an "in pieces" dive computer. :eek:ut:

TexasMike once bubbled...
Here's a good question for debate....

When the cylinder presure is getting down on the low side (say 1200 psi and less), which device is giving you the more accurate reading?

Remember, the mechanical SPG is designed to give you the most accurate reading in it's middle range (that's why many SPG's go up to 5000 psi).

Since obtaining my Vytec, I've noticed that when the dive is ending, and I'm on my way up the line, the difference between what the Vytec displays and what is shown on my Dive-Rite SPG is sometimes as much as 200 PSI. Of course I'm following the more conservative reading (the Vytec), but Divernva's question just above made me more curious about this situation.

What do the rest of you folks think? Is the pressure sensor in the transmitter more accurate than the SPG? Or the other way around?

If I am not wrong, the Vytec actually have a reserve of 30 Bars
meaning that if the Vytec shows 0 bar, you do actually still have
30 bars left in the tank.

Hope this help

DM462432 once bubbled...

Hope this help

I don't remember reading that in the manual. :really:

But then again it shouldn't matter. With any kind of dive planning, a "000" or anything close to it should never be indicated on any pressure gauge you're using under water. :dead:

A couple of weekends ago I dove with two people who were using Vytecs. I was very eager to see/touch/fondle their computers as I've been thinking about upgrading to one myself.

Over the course of four dives I was dissapointed to see that both of them managed to unlink their computers *during the surface swim*. In particular one unlinked after the first dive, and before the second, and we just surfaced and floated (did not get out of our gear).

Anyone have any comments about how much of a problem this is? It's quite a pain to relink the computer in water, and best accomplished with buddy help from what I saw.

My Aeris 750 (Oceanic DataTrans Plus clone) comes unlinked from time to time, even in water, but it relinks on its own (you code the receiver to the transmitters s/n and it takes care of relinking on its own). Does the Vytec support a mode like this? (I'm guessing not unfortunately).

Vytecs pick their code automatically when the first stage is primed and the wrist unit is close to it. At that point it will not reset it's code unless the gas is turned off or it can't relink for a while. I have my tranmitter on the same side as the wrist unit. I have intentionally tried to get it to unlink and it never has.

DM462432 once bubbled...

Hope this help
The reserve (in imperial at least) is 500psi, and for remaining air time calculation only. So if at your present depth, you're using 50psi per minute from that particular tank, at 600psi, you have 2 mins remaining, 550psi, 1 min remaining, 500psi, 0 mins remaining. AFAIK it doesn't affect any other function of the computer, just the remaining air time display (and an alarm).

It's the one feature of the computer which I think is stupid - I don't need a flashing "you're dead" indicator on the computer - and 500psi is just an arbitrary figure - tanks could be anything from 1800psi to 3500psi (or higher) - so 500psi is anything from 27% to 14% of your total air. If anyone knows how to turn the remaining air time feature off, let me know.

Still haven't had connectivity problems, either during surface swims or dives. Been on the same boat as 2 other divers using them, and connectivity wasn't a problem (at least on the boat deck - we weren't buddies). About 50 dives on the computer so far.

My vytec has had zero problems with my wrist unit staying connected to the transmitter.

I also agree with ben and wish i could shut off the 500 reserve thing.I have gotten use to it though but would rather have it read actual bottom time including the 500 reserve.

Hmm... very amusing... seems a lot of Vytec owners have Apeks regs! I'm a Vytec owner with my Apeks DST + ATX50 set on the way as well! :lol:

Anyway, I'm planning to use an SPG as back-up for a few dives...just to see the accuracy of the Vytec... see how often it fails, etc..etc...

If it doesn't fail... or if the readings are accurate enough, I'm planning to ditch the SPG completely. :wacko: and replace it with a button SPG just to check initial pressure.

I've learned how to calculate my air consumption at surface, so basically, with an SPG, Vytec & my calculations... that's triple redundancy. :p

Besides, it's gonna be my rec/OW rig anyway... if I ever do cave or wreck dives, I'm gonna go back to a normal SPG...with the Vytec as well. :)

If I decide to go hoseless, I'm gonna keep the SPG in my dive bag as back-up only. :)

Besides, I'm one of the more conservative air divers in my group anyway... when almost everyone is at 800psi, I'm still at 1000psi. And besides.... what are buddies for?!?!? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom