W Hotel N. Ari Atoll/General Maldives Inquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxroc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm contemplating a trip to the Maldives next month/February. Short notice I know, but the opportunity has come up to take a very special anniversary trip and we very well may seize it.

A few questions for those familiar with the area-

Hotel points would allow us to stay at the W Hotel on Fesdu Island, North Ari Atoll. It looks like a beautiful hotel, but I want to make sure that we are close to high-quality diving. The hotel says they have a house reef, proximity to Fesdu and Halaveli wrecks and an overnight sailing/diving trip to Hammerhead Shark Point.

Anyone familiar with this house reef, the wrecks in question or Hammerhead Shark Point? Care to offer insight on how they match up with the best the region has to offer?

Are there other high quality dive sites within reasonable boat-diving distance of this resort?

Any other "must consider" resorts you'd recommend based on both accommodations and dive opportunities?

A few other random questions-

Generally speaking, how is February as a time to dive/visit the Maldives? Temperature and rain fall stats seem ideal, but not sure of all the intricacies/habits of the local sea life.

I've read reports of the coral being severely damaged by the 04 tsunami. How's the progress on the recovery? I've been told there are still lots of amazing rays, sharks and other cool big creatures to be found. Just want to make sure the little guys and abundant colorful fish my wife and I love so much are still around also. Forgive me if that's a silly question :)

Finally, can anyone estimate how long a sea plane transfer from Male to North Ari Atoll might take?

Thanks a ton in advance, this board is always such a great source of information and the people here are so friendly and helpful.

I have visited Maldive every year and have stayed in last new year holidays, however I have not stayed W hotels. So I can not give you a nice advice regarding condition of house reef and anything about W.

Any other "must consider" resorts you'd recommend based on both accommodations and dive opportunities?

Vilamendhoo. I send inquiry to Vilamendhoo for next trip to Maldive next summer holidays, however Vilamendhoo show me that it will close for renovation from mid April.

Generally speaking, how is February as a time to dive/visit the Maldives? Temperature and rain fall stats seem ideal, but not sure of all the intricacies/habits of the local sea life.

I think Feb is the best season to go.
Water temp is around 29C/84F.

I've read reports of the coral being severely damaged by the 04 tsunami. How's the progress on the recovery? I've been told there are still lots of amazing rays, sharks and other cool big creatures to be found. Just want to make sure the little guys and abundant colorful fish my wife and I love so much are still around also. Forgive me if that's a silly question :)

From my point of view, corals are recovering, however not the same as before. I am very glad if you check photos in my blog.

Have a nice days in Maldive.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. Your pictures are amazing and make me really want to go. I'm going to try and make this happen. Thank you.

Any other info anyone has would be greatly appreciated also.

Fesdu Wreck is wonderful small one..I am sure any diver would enjoy it...

Not sure about the W house reef...

Hammerhead point is a long way unless you have a speed boat for diving and still
its not 100% that you will see them. You have to be in the water early morning around 6.00 - 6.30. or other with the SUN...:)

One Manta point not too far from W is Donkalo Thila. And in February there should many of them. But be ready for some strong currents sometimes (NOT ONLY MANTA POINT). The resort dive school might know some other Manta points. But this is well know and famous.

There is a place called Fish Head. Should be a very short boat ride from W.
Very nice dive. Loads to SEE...

Couple of other good dives are around there but not as close as Fish Head and Fesdu Wreck. Close to Halaveli and Maayafushi.

Not sure the exact time of sea plane. Not more than 25 min if its a direct flight.

Have a good time...Say hello to the Mantas...:D

great diving around there and the resort is very nice. The air taxi ride itself is not long. I believe they have their own plane through Maldivian air taxi.

I'm off to Filitheyo on saturday for a 2 week dive holiday - if I am back in time I will let you know what my experience was...

I do have a friend who worked over there for a couple of years on a conservation project and she reccomend both Filitheyo and Vilamendhoo.

If you are UK based (or even not!) there is a rather nice guy called Maldives Jim who runs a travel business Maldives Direct (ATOL6062) | Tailor-Made Luxury Holidays & Honeymoons | Call JIM The Expert he has been to every island and atol that he books people onto so can reccomend based on your preferences...Highly reccomeded!

Wish I managed to source this agents details beforehand! We were told Filitheyo was booked out in March almost 8 months ago. Even emails to them were not returned. It looks like a stunning island. Instead I managed to book Eriyadu. From accounts there is better diving there anyway.

Hi all, quicky question..My hubby is looking into equator village Gan Island, has anyone been there? We will be taking dives in turn as have 16month baby. Ihave read some reviews on trip advisor etc, not bad but not too great either.. Can I just ask to anyone with any knowledge, is this an ok place to take young children? As there seems to be very little information about things to do with toddlers if anything. And does anyone know this resort? Thanx to you all happy diving! xxx

Hi Maxroc,

I organize and lead live aboards in the Maldives and Fesdu doesn't seem to be a bad location at all during the East Monsoon.
You are at 12 km from Donkalo Thila (plenty of Mantas in that period and probably one of the closest resorts to that site), 19 km from Batalaa Maagaa (plenty of grey reef sharks) but they might not dive it because it is quite deep (~40m), 10 km from Maaya Thila (spectaculair night dive with hunting whitetips, rays, moray eels and stonefish).
Also is the Fesdu wreck probably the nicest overgrown wreck in the Maldives and it also has a small thila next to it with octopuses and very nice hard coral on top.
Forget the Helaveli wreck, no fish, no coral, only a sandy bottom and nothing on the wreck.
Other nice places are emas thila (west side), maalhos thila (west side), fish head (east side) and orimas thila (east side).

The house reef will be ok-ish but not spectacular.
I havent seen the hammerheads at Rasdhoo the last 10 dives but better to forget the hammerheads and dive the reef. A very spectaculair steep wall dropping to 150-200 meters with whitetips, eaglerays, grey reefs, napoleons etc. One of my favorite divesites in the Maldives.

Enjoy !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom