Wake up call from a past story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing in life is without risk. I suspect more couch potatoes die from heart attacks while watching 'Days of our Lives' than scuba divers but they both happen. If you follow the safe diving pratice rules, watch your gages and make a conceous PERSONAL decision about YOUR readiness for each and every dive, not allowing peer pressure or Testosterone to make the decision for you, I predict you will have many hundreds (or more) safe dives. Be aware that not all will be tons of fun or as easy getting out as it was getting in, but if you dive your skill level and training, your risk is minimum. Keep learning to improve your skills. Dive often and with those more advanced than yourself when ever possible.

Enjoy the moment as it passes far too quickly.

The one thing you can count on is this: No matter how you choose to live your life or what risks you choose to take - or avoid - NO ONE GETS OUT ALIVE! We all are going to die somehow, someway, sometime. You can choose to live in fear of dying, or you can study the risks, educate yourself and devlelop the skills and knowledge to be able to minimize the danger and then go do something that makes you feel alive and happy to BE alive.

My introduction to SCUBA wasn't pleasant. I didn't have the knowledge or skills to know how to be safe in the water. But exploring underwater and observing the marine environment is one of the things that is so rewarding to me that I happily accept the inherent risks, even though I spend a lot of time trying to make sure I know how to manage and minimize those risks.

It's all about risk vs. reward. Is the risk worth it TO YOU? That seems to be the $64,000 question, and only you can answer it.

I responded without seeing Afterdark's response. I should have just said "ditto!" He said the same thing with fewer words. Now if I could just streamline my dive gear, I could probably improve my SAC - lower my risk and improve my enjoyment even more....

:fail:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom