Wanna know best breath technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like this - whatever is put into the 'Tank Size' section does not seem to be the basis for any calculations, just a text field.

Is the Android app different? This one is fairly clunky unfortunately.

Mike's dive log app suggestions looks neater and seems to directly Bluetooth to the comp also, so I may just go down that route as I can't make friends with that Shearwater app unfortunately.

Attachments

• IMG_5842.PNG
    IMG_5842.PNG
    80.4 KB · Views: 68
I thought it did, but I can't seem to work it out right now - I find the app lousy too. I only use it so I can backup in case I ever wanted to look at my logs.

I might need to look into the Dive log app too, I have had it recommended to me too.

I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV but I've found out a few things over the time I've been diving. When I dive with groups on boats it seems like everyone is in a hurry as if they are late for something. Putting out that kind of effort costs you gas. Not only does it increase your metabolic processes it makes you miss seeing a lot of the things going on around you in the environment you're in.

When I can I tend to dive slower. The slower I move the less the fish seem to hide. I see more interactions and some of the smaller critters that those in a hurry shoot right by. My bottom times are markedly different when I dive my own style. Of course the slower you go and the less muscle power you use the less heat you generate and you might end up needing a thicker wet suit. I tend to dive a 5 mil down to about 77 degrees. Cooler than that and I need a vest and hood.

I don't tend to be infatuated with going deep unless I'm going to see a wreck. Most of the life on reefs is in 50 feet or less. I just spent two weeks in Bonaire. My wife and I did 15 dives or so and we squeezed 70-80 minutes out of a tank of N32 most of the time, even when we went to see the Hilma Hooker and spent some time at 85 feet.

... suggested I try breathing in a little slower, pause for 3 or 4 seconds and then breathe out slower but controlled.

That is a very long pause and fits the description of what is often referred to as skip breathing which isn't recommended, but as you said, this works for you.

Nothing wrong with (especially initially) consciously slowing down your breathing which will help you relax and eventually become your normal breathing.

When I dive with groups on boats it seems like everyone is in a hurry as if they are late for something.

This is my biggest issue with my current dive situation and I have been trying to encourage the operators I use to slow down.
It doesn't affect my consumption really, but everyone else sucks down their gas which shortens the dive, plus we're rushing and not seeing stuff. I used to see so much more when I did underwater photography.

This is my biggest issue with my current dive situation and I have been trying to encourage the operators I use to slow down.
It doesn't affect my consumption really, but everyone else sucks down their gas which shortens the dive, plus we're rushing and not seeing stuff. I used to see so much more when I did underwater photography.
One operator we used on Maui would put us in the water first and then let us do our thing while the people short on air at the end were on the buoy line. We saw more fish and other things during their safety stop than on about half of the dive. We have run into other operators that were accommodating as well but generally they are those with the 6 pack boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom