Wanna know best breath technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try breathing in a little slower, pause for 3 or 4 seconds and then breathe out slower but controlled.

Nothing wrong with a little pause, however, I suggest limiting this to a natural gap between inhalation and exhalation, 3-4 seconds, particularly after a drawn out inhalation, gets close to being an artificially held breath. You'd invariably start floating up with full lungs held for 4 seconds.

Look at a watch (analogue) and try breathing in for 7 seconds, transitioning for 1, and exhaling for 7 seconds, then immediately start over. Practice this on dry land for a couple of minutes and your body will learn that it can live beautifully with what amounts to 4 breaths per minute, and get a feel for the pattern that is otherwise a bit unnatural.

This really works for me. I dive with AI and monitor my SAC as I go along, if it goes above 1 bar/min (sorry not sure how this translates into your strange units) I go back to this breathing pattern and it settles right down below.

1 Bar on what size tank? 12L?

I sit between 8-9L/min. My best being 6.3L/min SAC recently with my new sidemount rig (twin 7L), so I'm hopeful I can maintain that. All quite doable, I'm 80kg, 173cm, 24 year old male.

Remember, be lazy

I have no comparison but the Perdix AI tracks SAC (not RMV) in bar/min and my values are for an AL80. For where the value lands with my setup, I take 1 as the value where I am happy below and try to reduce it when it goes above.

I know that this SAC rate is not transferable to other tanks, so will definitely need adjustment for comparison, but I never had to worry about how it translates to other tanks as it is always AL80 for me.

I have no comparison but the Perdix AI tracks SAC (not RMV) in bar/min and my values are for an AL80. For where the value lands with my setup, I take 1 as the value where I am happy below and try to reduce it when it goes above.

I know that this SAC rate is not transferable to other tanks, so will definitely need adjustment for comparison, but I never had to worry about how it translates to other tanks as it is always AL80 for me.

I think they are 11.1 or 11.4L volume (look on the tank), so 1 bar/min equates to 1 volume of the tank (11.4l/min SAC). You can add tank volume in your dive log on the shearwater cloud app and it will calculate for you.

I think they are 11.1 or 11.4L volume (look on the tank), so 1 bar/min equates to 1 volume of the tank (11.4l/min SAC). You can add tank volume in your dive log on the shearwater cloud app and it will calculate for you.

Yes 11.1 litres in the AL80 I rent.

Where in the app can you add this? In my iOS app the 'gas details' section does not allow for this, and the 'tank size' field in the 'gear details' section is not connected to anything. I haven't bothered with the desktop app yet, does it have additional things to play with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom