Want to dive Great Lakes -- where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the Lakes wet. 5mm last year July through Sept (first dives were July 1). Down to 56 on Michigan and Huron (85ft) Had a bottom temp of 74 on Michigan at 60ft in late July. TOO warm! ;-)

I’ll be diving wet in my 5mm or 7mm beginning mid-May on Michigan and southern Huron late May. I’ll even be diving Thunder Bay/Alpena wet in early August.

Note: I’m something of a polar bear and I’m considered to be crazy. :D

Looking to get in some Great Lakes wrecks this summer as well, some great recommendations on this thread so far! Does anyone dive the Great Lakes wet, or would I be absolutely out of my mind? I have an 8mm semi-dry, haven't ventured into the drysuits yet.
You'll be fine. As others have mentioned, the temperatures can vary greatly at depth, and the same site may be 15 degrees different overnight. I plan for 42 degrees F and hope for better. In the summer, there is usually a considerably warmer thermocline.

@JimBlay gave you a pretty detailed answer. I’m certainly not going to try to contradict what he has said. And I’ve never worn a semi dry wet suit, so I can’t comment about it.

The coldest I have ever been is after doing a double dip in Lake Huron in a seven mil wetsuit. It was in September, which is as warm as the lake is going to get, with the thermocline as deep as it’s going to get. Unfortunately, both dives were below the thermocline at 60 feet, and water temp was still something like 42°. There were 14 divers on the boat: 12 of them in dry suits, and then my buddy and I, who were doing our first Great Lakes dive. That might tell you something… :)

For me, the answer is simple: you will want a level of thermal protection comparable to what you will receive from a dry suit, assuming you were going, say, 70 feet or below in Lake Huron. Something else you might be able to consider on a case-by-case basis, but in general, it’s cold no matter what.

The hardest thing about Great Lakes diving is putting on full heavy thermals and a dry suit when it is 90 degrees out and the surface temp is 75 to 77 degrees. You can't get deep quick enough......

The hardest thing about Great Lakes diving is putting on full heavy thermals and a dry suit when it is 90 degrees out and the surface temp is 75 to 77 degrees. You can't get deep quick enough......

One positive to diving wet! ;-)

not when the temp is 39 - 42 below that zone.......

and f-ing cold!

you are quite not all there.... typical "Canuck" (not meaning the traditional meaning of French Canadian) :drunks: But I like you guys. I spend so much time "there", I have been somewhat adopted.....:thumb:

FWIW - I can look south and still see Canada

Back
Top Bottom