want to make uv scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonnyB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Anyone made one? I am playing with the idea of using an old aluminium tank that i have as the body of the scooter? Are there any plans out on the net for this?

Regards
Jonny

Been there done that! Not a good idea. Take all the parts you need, put them into an old aluminum tank (decommisioned due to neck cracks for instance). Now weigh it all up. Weighs about 40 to 50 lbs. Now remember an 80 cuft tank (empty) floats with about 3-6 lbs bouyancy depending if in salt or fresh water. SINKS LIKE A ROCK!

Mike D

Building one right now with a shakespear trolling motor and two emergency light batteries(6V each combined for 12V). The Trolling motor has been filled with transmission fluid and no problems running it, and won't have any issues at depth. The motor is then wraped with a PVC rubber connector(two of them) then snugged up inside 3 inch PCV pipe the same length as the motor with marine goop all around it. No air space what so ever. Because the batteries fit inside 4 inch PVC we ovaled the PVC a bit to make the fit. Then the outside of the 3" PVC pipe gets a 3" rubber connector put on it and forced into the 4" to have a snug fit<gooped before going in>. This is as far as we got. We are planning to make it a tank mount unit so we can swimm out a distance, and not have to swim as much to get back in. the on off switch we are using a small toggle switch wrapped in Rubber and gooped. This will be clipped to out BCD or a wire will lead to our wrist. The Scooter is only one speed, and we grinded the trolling motor body smooth taking off the rudder and anything else protruding from it... Haven't finished it yet, haven't had time to work on it much at all.. will let u know if it all works. :) Currently it does.. but it also hasn't been in water since we made the Modifications to the motor

I built one using a trolling motor a while back. Didn't cost much at all, but didn't last long either. Sure did look cool, though, with the hot rod flame paint job I put on it.

If you seriously want to build a good scooter, you should look into getting the Oceanic Mako parts and building your own housing, just like UV and Gavin scooters do. But there are no plans out there to do this, so you need to do some research and use your own creativity and engineering skills to accomplish this.

I'm documenting my current efforts to build a scooter on The Scuba Stop, and there's some good info on scooters at The Deco Stop too. Spend some time researching before you build, and you'll get a better product in the end.

With Advice from my uncle, he said the motor should last quite a while. We have had the motor filled with transmission fluid for a few months now and it still runs sound and clean. Since liquid doesn't compress at depth it should hold the seals on the motor.. We haven't had it out yet to test. INstalling the motor into the pipe on March 26th and testing it on the 27th... My uncle is worried this motor will be too powerful and either me or my buddy are going to go to quickly through the water... will find out :) muhaahaahaa :p heehee

Firediver:
With Advice from my uncle, he said the motor should last quite a while. We have had the motor filled with transmission fluid for a few months now and it still runs sound and clean. Since liquid doesn't compress at depth it should hold the seals on the motor.. We haven't had it out yet to test. INstalling the motor into the pipe on March 26th and testing it on the 27th... My uncle is worried this motor will be too powerful and either me or my buddy are going to go to quickly through the water... will find out :) muhaahaahaa :p heehee

I don't think he needs to worry about being too fast... If your motor is rated for 35-55 pounds of thrust, then your speed should be anywhere from too slow to just right.

Anybody tried using a petrol engine with gas reclaim? Run the exhaust thru scrubbers to extend dive time.
Only problem I could see (other than weight and size!) is getting rid of the expelled gas as depth. Would the back pressure on a one-way exhaust valve stall the engine?

Back
Top Bottom