Want to test out my new gear near Cleveland... suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayssummer

Fish out of Water
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
IIRC Buckeye Dive School used to host pool sessions on a regular basis, but I don't see any sign on that on their website. I also believe the quarries are pretty darn cold this time of year and I don't have the wetsuit for those temperatures.

Any suggestions on testing my new gear at this time of year in Cleveland.

[MENTION][/MENTION]
IIRC Buckeye Dive School used to host pool sessions on a regular basis, but I don't see any sign on that on their website. I also believe the quarries are pretty darn cold this time of year and I don't have the wetsuit for those temperatures.

Any suggestions on testing my new gear at this time of year in Cleveland.

Contact your local YMCA. Even if you are not a member, many YMCA's will let you use thier facilties for a small fee for the day.

I'm not from your area, but I have never had a problem with asking a local LDS to do something like a "weight check" or some "drills" while they are in the pool with classes. Sometimes they like having someone there to keep the students engaged in "the future".....

Rent a 7mm wetsuit and check out the quarries. Most of the quarries have a rental department. I would suggest either Gilboa or Portage. The water temperatures aren't horribly cold yet and the vis is pretty good. Gilboa has a heated bath house and hot showers.

Bought it on the interwebs.
oops. we offer free pool time here at Scuba New York in our onsite indoor heated pool to customers that purchase their gear from us anytime as often as they want..purchase elsewhere there is a fee charged every time..its a benefit we offer to our customers that cannot be matched via online..oh, and we price match internet authorized dealer prices...

Good ideas all. Thanks! I did a dry check of the new gear and felt satisfied that it does the basic stuff that it ought to do. I haven't gotten around to the next step yet.

If I were to go visit the quarries I would need a dive buddy... might be an issue.

Come to Gilboa Quarry on Black friday. There will be a small group of us there at 10am

I'll be trying out new gear too so I won't be doing anything adventurous.

That sounds great. One small problem... I will be in Asia by then. :D

That's actually why I have new gear. I got myself a travel BCD and fins. I'm switching from a ScubaPro Nighthawk to a Lighthawk, so I don't have any worries about the BDC. But I bought AquaLung HotShot fins, which I've heard some people don't really care for. I wanted to give them a try before traveling with them. I might settle for a swimming pool.

Back
Top Bottom