Want to use Camera for video....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oharag

Reaction score
I'm totally new to this underwater pic/video so please be gentle :)

I'm interested in buying a camera with the capability to also take video. Any recommendations on a good camera that can also take decent video? I'm not looking for long lengths of video, just the ability to switch over to video to capture interesting events (ie. a shark coming my way, or a buddy who happens to puke in his reg :) ).

Cnet has a "what's new" at PMA 2005. I believe there are new cameras coming out that are improving upon their video capabilities. Here's an example of such a camera:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Casio_Exilim_Pro_EX-P505/4505-6501_7-31289134.html?tag=txt

Obviously, this is new and there probably will never be a housing released for it.

What I would like to do is purchase an HID light that also can be used for illuminating an area for video recording. I'm into the dual use functionality of most of the gear I purchase (ie. dry suit to be used in both cold and warm waters, a HID light that can be used to illuminate dark areas for visibility purposes and possibly pic/video recording).

I want a compact, versatile, fairly cheap solution. Any thoughts?

I would also consider a video camera that also can be used to take pictures. I just like the size of the camera compared to a video camera. Also, I want to empasize good quality pictures and decent video as a priority.

Thanks,

oharag

Welcome to underwater photo and video. it will truly bring a new enjoyment to diving, as if it needs one.

First, if you are looking for a single camera that will take both stills and video, you need to decide which is more important to you, the stills or the video. I do not know of any cameras that take excellent video and still, however I do know of a few that take really good of one, and fairly good of the other. My recommendation would be to go with a video camera that takes stills. My favorite and best selling video camera is the Sony PC350 which not only takes high quality video, but it takes 3 megapixel stills. These images are actually quite good if you want quality snapshots.

Sony has also released the new HC90 which also takes 3 megapixel stills. The camera is less expensive than the PC350.

Both of these cameras have several housing options. The Every video housing manufacturer makes a housing for the PC350. Ikelite, Light & Motion and Top Dawg make housings that fit the HC90.

If you have any more questions, let me know and I would be happy to help you.

I probably would rank pictures above the video. Also, cameras are smaller in profile than video cameras. And, they normally cost less. And, they seem to have more housing options/companies available for them.

I saw the PC350 being recommended in another thread. The price is significant. The camera is $1,000. I believe the housing is as much. WOWWWWWWW. I'm not rich. (Then why did I choose scuba diving, you ask :) ). A camera option would be half this price (plus with the added benefits above).

Is Sony considered the best, and why?

oharag:
I probably would rank pictures above the video. Also, cameras are smaller in profile than video cameras. And, they normally cost less. And, they seem to have more housing options/companies available for them.

I saw the PC350 being recommended in another thread. The price is significant. The camera is $1,000. I believe the housing is as much. WOWWWWWWW. I'm not rich. (Then why did I choose scuba diving, you ask :) ). A camera option would be half this price (plus with the added benefits above).

Sony is frequently recommended because there are more housing choices for Sony than any other camcorder.

Photo and video are very different and I recommend sticking with your preference. Whatever your preference, your money is better spent on gear made for the specific application.

H2OPhotoPro:
Welcome to underwater photo and video. it will truly bring a new enjoyment to diving, as if it needs one.

First, if you are looking for a single camera that will take both stills and video, you need to decide which is more important to you, the stills or the video. I do not know of any cameras that take excellent video and still, however I do know of a few that take really good of one, and fairly good of the other. My recommendation would be to go with a video camera that takes stills. My favorite and best selling video camera is the Sony PC350 which not only takes high quality video, but it takes 3 megapixel stills. These images are actually quite good if you want quality snapshots.

Sony has also released the new HC90 which also takes 3 megapixel stills. The camera is less expensive than the PC350.

Both of these cameras have several housing options. The Every video housing manufacturer makes a housing for the PC350. Ikelite, Light & Motion and Top Dawg make housings that fit the HC90.

If you have any more questions, let me know and I would be happy to help you.

Ditto...
This was done with a Sony TRV-70 in a USVH housing.

18818DSC00321.JPG

as was this...
Turtle_Farm_-_Jeff_Large_.JPG

Here is a link to my Gallery, all of the pics in it were taken with the same Sony camera...

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/18818

Definetly can't compete with a dedicated still camera, but it does suffice for me.

For a multi-purpose light, the UK LightCannon. Although it is heavy and you do have to concern yourself with blinding your buddy and cooking the fish...and vice versa.

Jeff

Olympus C-770. 4MP Still camera , that does mpeg 4 video

Camera -- about $500
PT-022 housing $225

A short video White Star Quarry, OH

Another video
Gilboa Quarry, OH

I have a dive buddy with an older Olympus (C-5050 I think) and the Olympus housing. Takes great shots. Will shoot non stop video for as long as you have memory left (some only shoot short clips 15 to 20 seconds at a time, with a pause to store to the card). Hooked up to a standard TV to view, the video quality is quite acceptable (consider the fact that a TV screen is actually very low resolution, less than an old 640x480 SVGA monitor).

oharag:

My little Canon A80 takes reasonable video. Good enough if posting on the web is the goal. Not so good if watching on TV set is the goal. The other Canons like the A85 and A95 have better video modes. So if you likethe Canon A-Series, read the video specs some do beter but even the the A80 may be enough for your purpose

THe killer of the dual mode camera is lighting. Just _try_ can connect a pair of external strobes to a video camera. Likewise you will likely not want to carry video lights with your small point and shoot still camera. If you stay shallow you don't need the llights. But getting professional looking results in either mode depends on lighting

But I've got some decent video with the Canon A80. With a 1GB card inside it will hold quite a bit of video and there is enough like 35 feet and above if the water is clear and the sun is out.

You ask id Sony is the best. Who knows but if you are buying underwater video you start by shoping for a housing then you find a camera. It just turns out that there are more sony housings then others.

Most still camera will do video if there is enough light

I'd go with a still that can do video, too.

I'd also go with the Canon A series. A friend always shoots some video on his A70 and puts them on a disk with his images for buddies etc...the vid looks good on the computer. Have never seen the playback on a tv...on my 19" flatscreen monitor vid looks great as does the laptop...

The other nice thing is the price of these cameras and housings!

Back
Top Bottom