war graves and their definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SinoScuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dive Buddies,

I'm hoping that someone with a naval or admiralty law background can help me answer a question relating to a shipwreck I am researching.

When sailors die on a ship in wartime, rules of the sea dictate that the shipwreck is a war grave. However, what about a naval vessel that sinks during peacetime, with loss of life? What is the rule of the sea or protocol that prevails in this situation?

Please e-mail me directly at steven at sinoscuba dot com if you have an answer. Thank you very much.

same rule applies in the uk now to divers and fishermen if the wreck went down with loss of live it is regarded as a grave the uk goverment have now stopped ppl from fishing and diving on them but who is policing it go if u want but check local laws and please respect the dead

SinoScuba,

Just suppose you were the father of a young man who went down with his ship.

How would you feel about people diving on the wreck and possibly recovering the bones of your son as a "treasure"?

the Kraken

So after the family has pasted and there are no more to morn the loss does that make it open to divers?
If I die and go down with a ship and some sicko wants my bones he can have them, for my soul will be in a far better place.
Personally I wouldn't take bones (human), but brass is another story.

no it is classed as a grave yard it would be like going to the local cemetry and digging up some 1s grave

Well, may I suggest that each revert to his own sense of common decency, if, indeed, he has one.

the K

basically no u are not allowed to dive onthose sort of wrecks sorry do it at your own risk i say leave them in peace they proberly died for u any way

blacksambellamy:
Just dive where you want and tell nobody. Once you open your mouth you are screwed
I absolutly agree with you! Also, if you happen to come across a wreck of spanish origin;with lots of interesting artifacts, for God sake, don't tell any one! Definitly, do not try to go legal!!!The moment you do, you will lose all chances, to ever claiming, anything from the wreck! The only one who will make out is your attorney!!Win or lose, he will always win, because you pay him either way. Just Loot the wreck any way you can, as secreatly as you can. Other wise you will end up with nothing. Don't buy that "Cultural Heritage" crap, that archeologists put out. Capt Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom