Warm water destinations for checkout dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate all of the suggestions. Departing from Philly is a good idea, but I was able to get a decent price on direct flights from BWI. We're all setup to dive with Raoul from Diver's Request. I've read lots of good reviews of him. Hopefully they are accurate.

Sounds like you will be diving here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Mangel Halto Reef of Aruba, ABC Islands
Basically walk in till you get up to your waist or so then down you go. Should be pretty cool.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 10:41 AM ----------

Do keep in mind - and this is neither good or bad - that check-out dives don't actually TEACH anything. That's not to say that you won't LEARN anything from the instructor, but all you really need them to do is watch YOU demonstrate the skills to THEM. The assumption is that you will have been taught well before being sent on your way with referrals in hand.

As Pete (NetDoc) points out, there are instructors such as him who will have a higher than average expectation of students that they are willing to sign off on. And if you want that... that's great. But for the most part, while you do want someone who is safe and a nice guy, with a well-run operation, all you is someone who can verify that the kids can comfortably and reliably repeat the skills you've been taught in the pool... and any PADI shop will do. (ie: if you get a good rate on rooms at the Aruba Marriott and they have a dive op on site... go ahead and use them. They're likely to be perfectly fine and the convenience factor (and related stress reduction) will be as valuable in having a good experience as driving across the island to use some other shop because an anonymous stranger on the internet suggests diving with BlackBeard Bob's Divers Den & Distillery or whatever.)

On the other hand... if you get a REALLY great room rate and want to have a talented, tall, good-looking (and modest) instructor fly down to a warm Caribbean island and do the check-outs... I know a guy who'd be happy to help.

:D

Interestingly

BlackBeard Bob's Divers Den & Distillery

you should trademark that immediately!

Back
Top Bottom