Warm Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dick's Dogs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

In February or March I would like to go and do some warm water diving for 2 or 3 weeks but not on a liveaboard. Any suggestions where the hurricanes haven't ruined? All my dives are cold water so far and it's time to try something new. Thanks for your help.

don't think there's anyplace hit by hurricanes in the last few years that isn't sufficiently recovered.

Maybe say more about what you want to see, kind of place you like, budget, and you will get better suggestions.

Thanks Damselfish. I would be interested in wrecks and reefs. As far as a budget, I haven't set one. The quality of the dives and dive masters is my first priority.

1 idea: Grand Cayman pretty much has it all, there's a very good reason why it's a diver's mecca. But it is spendy. Recommend you look into either diving with Ocean Frontiers out of East End (they have accommodation deals that are really good too, and you'll avoid the crowds around 7 Mile Beach), or staying at Sunset House Dive Resort in the George Town area.

Bonaire-especially if you are thinking of going for several weeks. There are just a couple of wrecks but the diving freedom can't be beat in the Carib. Plus it's easy to hop over to Aruba and Curasoe(sp) for a little change of scenery.

i would say fl keys depending on your locatation its not a bad drive im in kentucky and its a 17 hour drive to the keys if your in the western part of canada you might want to fl if your in the south central its a nice drive and if you eastern it would be a nice drive that way you can sleep in a hotel not on a boat

Since you haven't done warm water yet almost anyplace will look good. Another question is, since you are in Vancouver, are you thinking Pacific or Carribean? From Vancouver, maybe you should look at Hawaii. With 2-3 weeks it's well worth doing more than one island and there's tons to see above water as well. I'd suggest Maui and the Big Island. You won't see a lot of the colorful corals like other tropical places, but lots of other good stuff, and likely big stuff. In the winter the water won't be quite as warm as some places, but will still feel warm to you. :)

So many great places to go elsewhere in the Pacific, though most probably longer or more expensive to get to than the Carribean even from Vancouver. And doing your first trip there could spoil you for the Carribean. Any of the popular places in the Carribean are a good bet for a first warm water trip, though even they have their own version of "winter" weather. Might come down to which gets you the most reasonable flights ($ and time.)

Cayman is always good. On GC I would also suggest staying at Cobalt Coast, though in the winter Divetech will often get blown out of the more desirable northern sites and shore diving directly from the hotel is less likely (though they've got another place to shore dive nearby that is sheltered.) Or check out Little Cayman (again, you could run into a winter stretch where they have trouble getting around the island to Bloody Bay wall some days but it wouldn't stop me from going.) Turks & Caicos is a good place to do sometime, main islands would be Provo or Grand Turk which are quite different. Bonaire is always a good bet, but can be a pain to get to even from the east coast. Curacao is good too with similar diving (if you go to the right places) but unlike Bonaire not all hotels are dive oriented so you don't want to stay just anyplace there. Belize is good but I think the best stuff is accessed mostly from liveaboard. Roatan and Cozumel are popular. None of these places have a lot of wrecks, usually a couple at most and some of those don't look much like wrecks anymore. For more wrecks could look at Bermuda, Aruba, BVI, though the reef diving may not be as good in those places esp. Bermuda and I don't know that they're worth the trip from Vancouver for diving. If you are really into wrecks I'd figure on going to Truk someday.

There's a bunch of other Carribean islands that aren't as popular as dive destinations but still have worthwhile diving. They're not as popular because of some combo of hard to get to, not quite as good diving as the big names, fewer good dive sites, less choice in dive operators or hotels, or in some cases simply lousy marketing. I'd probably start with one of the "usual suspects."

Travelling from Van to anywhere in the Caribbean is a snap. For Belize or Caymans or Bonaire, fly Van-houston-island. For Belize you might have to overnight in Houston. You can also fly via Newark NJ, and if you take the Cathay pacific 747 on a friday night you can overnight and stay in the Newark Int. marriot at the airport and then leave for Cayman the next morning. Should cost you about $1100 return not including the hotel. The Caymans are terrific and if you are there for 2 weeks try Sunset house for one week and then scoot over to Cayman Brac for a week and stay at Reef Resort. You will get to Dive Bloody Bay and the like and also the Capt. tibbets. I found the diving in Cayman Brac and Little Cayman to be better than the diving directly off of Grand Cayman. As an option one week on land and one week on a liveaboard (stayed twice on the Nekton liveaboard this past summer) would give you some great shore time and some amazing dives off of a boat. I did 27 dives in 6 1/2 days and saw some amazing stuff.

If you go to Belize and budget is not the primary factor, try Turneffe Island Lodge. All the sites are about 10 minutes from the dock. You spend your SI on shore in a hammock.....

If you go to Hawaii, and you have the time and money, you can take a further flight to some of the other pacific islands such as Kosrae, Chuuk (truk), or palau. Kind of depends on your budget. Once you are there the costs aren't too bad but the flight is a little pricey.

In any case, if you haven't dove in warm water, you are in for a treat. After diving up here with all the gear we use, I guarantee you will be standing at your tropical desitination, ready to jump in and really fighting a nagging feeling that you are forgetting something!

Cheers,

Vancouver Island

Bismark is right, the best route for you is Vancouver-houston-bonaire. It however may not be the cheapest. Your other alternatives are American Airlines, though an overnight may be warranted and Air Jamaica out of LAX. You can also look into flying into Curacao then hopping over to Bonaire (12 minute flight).

Bonaire is OUTSIDE of the hurricane belt and our entire reef system is a National Marine Park. It is no wonder we have been voted the #1 dive destination in the Caribbean by SD Magazine 12 years in a row!

Check it out!

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom