Warm water rig and weighting ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greylion

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Tobin,

I just bought a harness from you a week or so ago and was going to use it with a different plate and wing, but the more I think about it I like the features of your complete rig a little better. So I was wondering if you you'd put together the whole system for me and give me a little advice? Would you still give me a package price?

Right now I dive an integrated weight Knighthawk BCD with a Scubapro MK25/S600 reg with octo. In warm water I use a 2 mil shorty or a full 3 mil and use 16 lbs of weight with AL80 tanks and I'm neutral at 15' with 500 psi. Strictly a vacation diver but I'm lucky enough to get away a few different times a year. So I'd like to streamline the set up and get some weight off body.

What kind of weight do you approximate I'll need with one of your hog harnesses and a SS plate and tropical travel wing?

Jim

Hi Tobin,

I just bought a harness from you a week or so ago and was going to use it with a different plate and wing, but the more I think about it I like the features of your complete rig a little better. So I was wondering if you you'd put together the whole system for me and give me a little advice? Would you still give me a package price?

Right now I dive an integrated weight Knighthawk BCD with a Scubapro MK25/S600 reg with octo. In warm water I use a 2 mil shorty or a full 3 mil and use 16 lbs of weight with AL80 tanks and I'm neutral at 15' with 500 psi. Strictly a vacation diver but I'm lucky enough to get away a few different times a year. So I'd like to streamline the set up and get some weight off body.

What kind of weight do you approximate I'll need with one of your hog harnesses and a SS plate and tropical travel wing?

Jim

Jim,

Right now you are using about 18 lbs of ballast, 16 lead and 2 for your reg.

You need ~4lbs to offset an empty buoyant al 80, and another ~3-4 for the inherent buoyancy of your current BC. 18 - 8 leaves 10 lbs which is quite a bit for a 3 mil wetsuit, I'd guess you may be a few lbs over weighted.

A medium SS plate and harness will provide about 6 lbs of ballast and your reg another 2 lbs for a total of 8.

I'd estimate your 3 mil suit to be ~4-5 lbs positive and am empty al80 to be +4 lbs.

That means you should need about 8-9 lbs of total ballast. You may need a pound or two on a belt.

You can use a very small wing. Out Torus 17 will easily float a rig that's only about -10 lbs, and a 17 lbs wing is more than enough to compensate for a fully compressed 3 mil suit.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, I'll give you a call shortly. :)

I received my new rig and put it all together this morning, easy to assemble and I can't wait to get it in the water. Large SS plate with a hog harness and 17# torus wing. I also removed my SK7 compass from the retractor it was on and got it in the wrist boot with no issues too. Just placed them in some hot tap water and they came apart and went together pretty easy.

Thanks Tobin,

Jim

I received my new rig and put it all together this morning, easy to assemble and I can't wait to get it in the water. Large SS plate with a hog harness and 17# torus wing. I also removed my SK7 compass from the retractor it was on and got it in the wrist boot with no issues too. Just placed them in some hot tap water and they came apart and went together pretty easy.

Thanks Tobin,

Jim

Jim,

Glad to hear the goods arrived, thanks for letting me know.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Tobin

Finally got to dive the new BP/W and I'm lovin' it. I've been making a few adjustments over 4 dives the last couple of days. I seem to be happy with 2 lbs in an XS scuba weight pouch with my 2 mil shorty, but each dive I've been dropping a little weight.

Great quality equipment and considering I've never dived anything but my Knighthawk BCD, this adjustment period has pretty smooth. Thanks for the help Tobin.

Finally got to dive the new BP/W and I'm lovin' it. I've been making a few adjustments over 4 dives the last couple of days. I seem to be happy with 2 lbs in an XS scuba weight pouch with my 2 mil shorty, but each dive I've been dropping a little weight.

Great quality equipment and considering I've never dived anything but my Knighthawk BCD, this adjustment period has pretty smooth. Thanks for the help Tobin.

Grey,

Glad to hear your new goodies are meeting your expectations.

It's a great help to get this type of feedback. Thank you.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom