Warm water weenie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DTB1981

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have been diving in 84 F water here with a 3/2 mil full suit. It is now 77 and I am starting to get cold by my second or third dive. I think it could have something to do with the air temps dropping from 95 to 73 though. I got a 5 mil hood and it seems to help a lot on the later dives. Is it too soon to get a 5 mil suit?

The ambient temp and cumulative hypothermia are both probably playing a role in you getting cold. When the air temp is in the 80s or lower, I'm usually in a dry suit. I can deal with water in the 70s wet, but getting out of the water into 70 deg air temp isn't very pleasant wet.

I switch from a 3/2 full suit to the 5 mil with hood and gloves at 78 degrees. A slender build will cause fairly rapid heat loss - I am 6'0, 155 lbs.

I dive a hoodless 5 mm in the 23-25 C range. Above I go 3 mm, below 7mm or various two-piece combinations. Don't really bother with heavy gloves until about 10-12 C.

Correcting former statement - I switch to 5 mil at 75 degrees.

It's not too early to switch to a warmer suit, if it makes you feel comfortable. I wear a 7mm suit when the water is in the 70's. If I am too warm, I let some water into my suit. I'd rather be too warm, and add water, then be too cold...then you're stuck being cold.

84 and a 5 mil? 84 and I'm naked. Don't see how people can dive with anything more than a swim suit in 84+, but then that's me. Course there are those like, Lynne Cox, who swam the Berring Straits in just a bathing suit and cap! Not me - I almost froze swimming a tri. in a shorty-Farmer John suit in 51 degree water.

i wish you would use centigrade, farenheight is like sooooooooo medievil :mad:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom