WARM Wetsuits for Petite Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the stretching started on the first dive trip so age or number of dives had nothing to do with it... It is possible that it was made for people with much larger thighs and butt than I have, but it was snug when I first tried it on. The pilling and stitching failures came later.

I have been talking to my shop owner's about what suits are the warmest. The consensus is:

Bare Reactive (for men) or Evoke (for women)
Henderson Thermaxx
ScubaPro EverFlex (newer models with DiamondSpan lining)

Also, the new ScubaPro Definition suits claim to have "infrared fleece interior lining reflects body heat to ratchet up warmth even more". Sounds just like the Bare Celliant technology.

The warmest suit is really going to be the one that fits you the best. So, I would suggest trying all of these, if you can, and go with what fits most snug up into your armpits and crotch (as well as fitting snug everywhere else).

I got some new ScubaPro HD boots recently that have the DiamondSpan lining and they are ridiculously warm. My last weekend in our local quarry, my feet were sweating inside those boots - while I was in the water!

Also, maybe go with a 5mm or 5/4, if you get cold that easily.

Stuartv, thanks for a very useful info. I was looking and comparing all those 3 that you mentioned. I am going for a 5mm instead of 3mm although it may make me look stupid in Caribbean! I also found a wetsuit from Xcel. Anyone knows anything about Xcel Thermoflex?

Stuartv, thanks for a very useful info. I was looking and comparing all those 3 that you mentioned. I am going for a 5mm instead of 3mm although it may make me look stupid in Caribbean! I also found a wetsuit from Xcel. Anyone knows anything about Xcel Thermoflex?
You won't look stupid. I only wear a 5mm because I get cold in 82 water. So many women that dive all the time wear 5mm. The only time I didn't was in PNG when the water was 89. I have a 3mm that I never ever use so better to go with the 5 if you already get cold.

What she said. Nobody's going to look twice at a 5mm suit.

My girlfriend is in the same situation. 5'4" @ 100 lbs. The problem is that our LDS's don't stock a whole lot of wetsuits especially this small. So my only option is to order one online and return it if it doesn't fit.

She did try on a 5mm Henderson Thermaxx size 4 but the legs were a little short.

love2fishfork, you're right. I have contacted LDS in area, but they just don't carry many wetsuits or small size. So, I will end up doing the same thing. Of course, that means more return shipping cost...

7mm is too much? I have never tried 5mm or 7mm, but I do get cold and start shivering with 3mm. Do you think 5mm is sufficient or I can go 7mm, mainly diving in Caribbean.

Disclaimer: This is advice from someone who gets very cold, blue lips and all. I wear a 5mm (with a heated vest when the water is 80 or under). I wear a 7mm when in water under or in mid to low 70's. The 5mm and a hood of some sort will suffice. I don't think it has been brought up, but a hood is essential for warmth. You can use a hooded vest (mine is a lavacore) or just a beenie.

Back
Top Bottom