WARM Wetsuits for Petite Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll also recommend a freediving suit. The two piece, open-cell interior is by far the best fit and warmest of suits I have tried over the years. They are super stretchy because they don't have nylon on the inside, not because it is some crappy "super stretch" neoprene that feels great in the dressing room and is horrible once you get a few dives on it.

I currently have a Mako suit, which has been a solid performer, but have had a 4 other freediving suits prior. I'm not a petite woman, so I can't comment on brand specific sizing for you, but they will inherently have a more forgiving fit than any one piece will. And custom is always an option, just make sure you get yamamoto rubber if you go that route, it'll last much longer. The custom brands I know of are Elios, Oceaneer, and Deep Thought.

-Chris

a hood is essential for warmth. You can use a hooded vest (mine is a lavacore) or just a beenie.

What she said. For sure!

Personally, I only use drysuit hoods. I have them in in 3mm, 5/4, and 6.5mm.

I like drysuit hoods the best because they cover the head and neck, but they don't tuck into the suit. My wetsuits have pretty decent seals in the neck area. I don't want anything to be under that, breaking the seal. So, no hood with a bib and no hooded vest for me.

Also, a hood (with no bib or vest) is really easy to put on last and take off as soon as you get out, with minimal fuss.

My Seasoft Ti Pro 6.5 w/Zipper is my favorite hood. Most of the panels are compressed neoprene, so they don't compress at depth. Well, they don't compress very much, anyway. Unlike a regular neoprene hood. So, the Seasoft gives nearly the same insulation, even at deeper depths. The panels right around the face and chin are regular stretchy neoprene, to keep it comfy. And the zipper up the back makes it easier to put on/take off. And, in water that is not as cold, I can leave the zipper unzipped, so the hood isn't quite as warm. There's a bellows under the zipper, so it still keeps water out somewhat even unzipped.

The neck portion of all my drysuit hoods generally does overlap the neck of the wetsuit a bit (on the outside), so I don't have any part of my neck that is directly exposed to the water.

Disclaimer: This is advice from someone who gets very cold, blue lips and all. I wear a 5mm (with a heated vest when the water is 80 or under). I wear a 7mm when in water under or in mid to low 70's. The 5mm and a hood of some sort will suffice. I don't think it has been brought up, but a hood is essential for warmth. You can use a hooded vest (mine is a lavacore) or just a beenie.

I'd like to know more about this heated vest? Thermalution? How is the battery life? That might just be the answer for my girlfriend!

I'd like to know more about this heated vest? Thermalution? How is the battery life? That might just be the answer for my girlfriend!
Yes it is the Thermalution vest with wireless remote. I have had it for years. I have also used the the vest with the non wireless control that a friend was letting me use when I had forgotten to bring mine on a recent trip. I was really struggling with the lower than expected temps and the vest changed everything for me. This vest had the smaller batteries and they lasted a whole dive no problem (my larger batteries will last 2 dives if you don't keep it on highest setting)! It is expensive but for me a game changer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom