Warmest Wetsuit Available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARE - elastek-
i normally dive dry now in cold water - but my bare suits in 7 or 5 mm are fantastic thermal protection.
g'luck - it's just no fun anymore when you're cold is it....

I have a merino wool pinnacle 3 and a pinnacle 5, but what I have gone to is a Henderson 3 mil farmer john and, depending on water temp, a 3 mil Henderson hyper stretch shorty, or a 5 mil hyper stretch shorty, or a 7 mil hyperstretch shorty. If the water is warm enough I don't use the farmer john. Naturally, I do not take all of the above with me on a trip. If the water is above 82 I don't need the farmer John. At 84, I only need the 3 mil shorty. And so forth.

Puffer Fish:"1. Fit. The better a suit fits the warmer it will be."

I agree completely with this statement. Fit is essential. I am like yourself. My Pinnacle fits almost perfect little tight across the shoulders and a little tight with a hood tucked in but other than that its a perfect fit.

What temperture is the water you dive in?

What suits have you tried?

Do you use a hood, can you wear gloves and do you use footwear with your fins?

Finding the best suit that will give you the best protection means testing each and every make. Things to consider would be the type of seals on ankle and wrist as these control water flow that keeps you warm, fleece/wool inners, suit thickness and the amount of bubbles in the neoprene. I use several suits but my 5mm Scubapro Everflex is a good all-rounder. I add a 5mm SP hoodie & gloves when needed and give me flexibility when the conditions demand it.

What temperture is the water you dive in?

What suits have you tried?

Do you use a hood, can you wear gloves and do you use footwear with your fins?

Belce,

I dive in all water temps, so I use a dry suit for anything 65 or colder. The wetsuit would be for warm water diving on tropical vacations.

I have mostly used Camero suits with a couple other used suits- trying to get a deal and save $$. I am ready to spend more on a suit that I actually like before I give up on wet suits altogether.

I use a hood and footwear, typically not gloves. My core is what gets cold.

d.b.

If I were to make a general recommendation, assuming the diving is not going to be that cold, would suggest the best fitting (and that will take some trying on to know) 5mm you can find.

Puffer,

I think this is great advice... Part of the problem is I always get a used suit or a cheap suit online and can't try it on in advance.

My local dive shop has very limited suits available to try on, but I could travel to a nearby city and see what I can find?!

Thanks!

d.b.

leisurepro has an excellent return policy if something doesn't fit, and they definitely sell quality stuff.

Puffer,

I think this is great advice... Part of the problem is I always get a used suit or a cheap suit online and can't try it on in advance.

My local dive shop has very limited suits available to try on, but I could travel to a nearby city and see what I can find?!

Thanks!

d.b.

I believe the majority of people are in the same situation these day. Lets see if we can make this a bit easier for you.

The following is a list, in no particular order of important considerations to make finding that really nice suit:

1. Some people, most any suit will fit well, other (like me), you have to find the right one. Know which of these you are.

2."Fit" gets used a lot, but I am not sure everyone knows what is being talked about here. A great fitting suit means it is one that has no or minimal gaps between you and the suit. Those gaps, when you move flush water in and out. It does not mean it is comfortable to get on, it does not mean it exactly matches your entire body.

3. With a new suit, it will be the tightest, warmest and hardest to get on, the first time you wear it.

4. It is better to have arms and legs a little tight than a little loose... as one can always make the them a bit bigger (a wine bottle works great for arms).

5. Superstretchy fits better, but the suits don't last as long, and they compress more at depth. I love them, but it is a trade off.

6. If you can, try on a 7mm suit. Mfg's tend to use the same body shape for each size (most of the time, but watch out for different product lines from the same mfg. A 7mm will not stretch that much, and will show every mismatch between you and the suit. A good fitting 7mm, means a 5mm should be really good.

7. For me, Oneal (sadly out of the dive wetsuit business) and Pinnacle have a size that is a wonderful fit. Bare does not make anything that fits me (also sad). So I don't look for Bare suits on sale.

8. There is a lot of neoprene out there, a lot of which is junk. I don't mind a superstretchy suit wearing out in a couple hundred dives, I do mind one crushing down after 20. I am sure there are some good off name suits, but would suggest, if you can, that you get a major mfg's suit on sale. I just got a pinnacle 5mm on sale at a really good price..

So the concept is to find a maker, that makes a suit in a size that is right for you. Then start lookiing for sales on the size and thickness you want.

Takes a little bit of work, but once you have it, it gets pretty easy.

For the record, I own 14 wetsuits... from 1mm to way past 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom