Warning about hot fills!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has been pointed out, a leaking valve is a far more probable cause. My tanks rarely "lose" more than 200-300 psi after a hot fill. None of the shops here immerse tanks in water when they fill them.

However, with that said, I did have one of my PST HP120s fail hydro due to over-expansion. Even the dive shop manager where it was filled the most believed it was due to repeated hot fills. I don't worry about a "hot" fill if my tank is being filled along with a number of other tanks. However, I do worry about them if mine is the only tank being filled.

I would solve this problem by requiring that this particular customer will need to be charged for a visual inspection before each and every fill.

please don't think I'm trying to hijack this thread....please just a quick answer, what is a Q & A?

please don't think I'm trying to hijack this thread....please just a quick answer, what is a Q & A?

Question

&

Answer

Quality Assurance..
The bigger the shop and the more certs they issue, the less it matters.
I have seen a course director certify customers that could not pass a swim test, I have been asked to teach courses that I was not qualified to teach (Not a specialty instructor at the time) course completed, papers went to other instructors for sign off...

Went the Q.A. route...nothing happens..

50 is for o2 and i think 600 is max per psi

50 PSI/min is the recommended filling rate according to CGA (and maybe that's O2 and not air, but I think it's air). Now, go to a gas house and see when they have 75 or 100 O2 or air cylinders on the fill rack, it's easy to maintain 50 PSI/min. It's a little more difficult in a dive shop with 2 fill stations or on a liveaboard with 6.

I know paintball is a little different that scuba but...

I paintball a lot. We use 4500PSI 68 cubic inch tanks. During the course of a tournament or practice, I may fill my tank from ~800 to 4500psi 50 times in a day. This fill process is usually done in less than 15 seconds. If I do a fill at the end of the day and bring it home, it may lose a couple hundred psi. Some fields have such dirty compressors that I have sand in several of my tanks. In the Arizona sun, it is often unpleasant to touch the valve after a fill. Multiply this by the hundreds of tanks that my friends and I are using and we have a fair sample size. None of us have ever ended up with a failed hydro.

Given this experience, I have no issue filling my scuba tanks at 600psi/minute.

The good thing about scubadiving and paintballing is that you get fill adapters for scubatanks to fill your paintball tanks :D

Back
Top Bottom