Warning: Avoid Lion Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wisnu - bullock cart, can or not?

I just have to stick my 2 cents worth on this one, in hopes of clarifying the realities of the EU Transport Black List matter of ALL Indonesian Carriers. Another post I saw today suggested that buses, cars, pedicab (bejaks) and others should also be factored into this ban, which did make me smile. However, the following explanation is 100% documentable fact as researched in my position as Kepala Bidang Industri Wisata Bahari dan Perkapalan for GAHAWISRI, the Indonesian Marine Tourism Association. (in short this unpaid position as head of boats and the Marine Tourism Industry).

BLACK LIST OF INDONESIAN CARRIERS IN THE EU
I will try to keep this explanation as short as possible but in the name of clairification, the following is provided to those who just wish to take the time to understand, how this BLACK LIST CAME ABOUT AND WHAT IT ACTUALLY MEANS.

The Indonesian Government is a massive buracracy. In each Ministry office you will find rows and rows of desks, with stacks of paper and even manual typerwritters, but yes, a few none networked computers. There is one additional madatory accessory for most of these offices, which truely sets the tone of their Efficeny potential and that is a broad collection of televisions, all of different brands and all ON...... I must assume that this picture of REALITY is very dissimilar to the NEW EU Department that oversee's airline saftey.

Approximately one year ago, after a series of air crashes in Indoensia, THE European Union Department of Transportation, wrote a letter to the Indonesian Ministry of Transportation. This letter explained that the EU Commission on Aviation Standards was holding a meeting on a specific date and documents on Indonesian Proceedures and Standards, plus input and representation from the Indonesian Aviation Industry was required or requested to be present. This written request was time sensative and a date deadline with given, which was based on the EU Commissions scheduled meeting date.

Well......when this letter arrived at the previously discribed long rows of desks and stacks of paper, it was placed at the bottom of pile number 234. This proceedure is quite common here and if a document is to be treated with any sence of urgency, it should be accompanied by a person with a small evelope designed to expedite the matter at hand.

In anycase, this time sensative letter remained at the bottom of PILE NUMBER 234, untill the media covered the results of the EU Transportation Commissions meeting, which was forced to take the Blacklist Action, based on the fact that NO Documentation was provided by the Indonesian Side, No Representative was present at the planned Commission Meeting. The Indonesian News Paper Headlines where somewhat HOT on this matter, is spite of the fact that as of that time and still to this DATE, there are NO INDONESIAN AIRLINES flying to the EU, including Garuda the national carrier. But be assured that the Media Coverage was enough to have the Director General responsible for this matter and Minister of Transportation to be summoned to the Presidental Offices to answer for this blunder.

The status of the BLACK LIST today is still alive and just about a week ago, coverage was given in Local Media, of how the national carrier Garuda Indonesia Airlines and the Government were filing papers to have the EU review this matter as Garuda is wanting to fly to EU again at sometime in the near future. I assume that some of the televisions had to be turned off in order to prepare such a complicated document.

In closing, Indonesian needs and is agresively developing a better airline infrastructure. Lion Air recieves each month a new Boeing 737 - 900 ER and while the density of these new aircraft is tight, the equipment is new and impressive. New Airports are being serviced all the time, openning up new dive destinations throughout this massive Archipelago all to the benefit of a growing Marine Tourism Industry and you, as lovers of this great sport.

I hope that each and every reader of this message will take a few minutes and cut a little slack to this 3rd World Nation and its growing perspective as the best dive destination on our planet.

Robin Engel
Kepala Bidang Industri Wisata Bahari dan Perkapalan
GAHAWISRI PUSAT
JAKARTA INDONESIA

Scott -

Glad to hear the news ... Robin Engel comes through! We're off to Bali tomorrow, then on to Raja Ampat on the 20th. Won't know until we get to Bali and see our internal airline tickets what we're booked on, but Robin was trying to use ExpressAir if possible. We have trip insurance, a full printout of our dive gear inventory, pictures of all of it, and Robin's phone numbers ... don't know what else to do! Also packed lighter than we ever have before for a dive trip ... good practice for the future. If we're forced into Lion Air on any leg of the trip, I'll try to kick some LA a$$ for you!

RA, here we come!

Bruce,

What part of Raja are you headed too?

I hope you post a trip report I'd like to hear about your trip with Robin's LOB. I am thinking of doing Bali (on Robin's LOB), Lembeh and Raja next year.

Thank Robin for me for all his help.

You are going to have a great time!

My experience at sorong taught me to fly to manado and do a LOB to Raja Ampat... We flew to Sorong via Merpati Air the last year, and it was one of the worst flying experiences I have ever had.

When we were leaving sorong, our flight was delayed a mere 4hrs, whereas the expressair flight which was scheduled 2hrs earlier, had not even begun check-in precedures.

EU ban All indonesian airline from flying in the EU - none of them flying in or to any EU. including in the list few chartered aviation company for oil and mining industry with good safety record and an aviation equipment calibration service compnay.

Good care ?
So
They shall also ban all means of transportation in Indonesia including and not limited to taxi, train, ship, public bus, horse cart, pedicab, ojek, jukung boat, bajaj, :eyebrow:ect. to operate to and within any EU countries.

joke.gif

I flew into Bali with Air Asia. Apart from the lack of leg room the flight was similar to any European budget airline, newish aircraft, clean, etc.
They have a special rate for sports equipment incuding scuba gear of RM 40 (£8 or $13) for 15Kg of sports equipment which includes scuba gear. However we were never charged this as we persuaded them we were under our limit of 15Kg's each. Everything arrived even though none of our bags were locked. We did have all our camera gear as hand luggage.
I would fly with them again.
They have fantastic deals with some resorts, worth a look, and are supposed to be starting to fly from the UK in 2009 nonstop from Manchester to KL. Legroom could be an issue on a 12 hour flight.

Okay, so I'm glad it mostly worked out. Most of the stuff back is a present.
We all have backpacks(not giant, just the little ones) that can roll if I want, and we each carry our regs, favorite mask, and cameras/housings in it with the toothbrush, bathing suit, and one change of clothes -shorts and a tee for padding. Me, hubby, 11 year old, and 13 year old each. The fins and bc go in each suitcase with the smb and all clips on. We wear our computers. I have traipsed all over this globe in some truly dodgy places and airlines and never had an issue. I don't mind rolling it, cause it gets there with me. Travel light and keep the jewels close.
Good luck next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom