WARNING***Ebay selling unsafe cyl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Netdoc that Luxfer has essentially admitted that the 6351 tanks are flawed by offering the buyback. I think a judge/jury would see it that way anyway.

How can they end the program without exposing themselves to liability risk.

I know it is NOT a recall. I found it nice that the shop I work with and another one in my area both would give you the full $50 towards the purchase of a new tank and eat the shipping costs. Granted they ship in bulk, and get shipping costs reduced, but its still an expense that cuts into the bottom line.

It still all boils down to several issues. A neck crack is detecteable by eddy current testing before it becomes hazardous. PSI also sells a magnifyer for checking threads.

If you fill your own, the risks are all yours. If you don't, the dive shop gets to determine the level of risk that they are willing to accept.

I know several places that will check hydro and VIP (it must be VIP+) but don't check MFR date, so they will fill anything as loing as it is current on hydro and VIP+.

TwoBit

I agree with what DA Aquamaster said. I bought a perfect, metallic blue 80, that has the year listed in the Luxfer refund program, for $15, because someone wanted to drop it ASAP. I had it hydroed, VIP'ed and have a nice little tank.

cdennyb:
I buy from ebay all the time, tanks included, and if you're smart enough to read what the stampings mean, and don't buy unless you get a photo of them, then you deserve to buy a bad cylinder.
So some of us newbies didn't know what the stampings mean, so we deserve to buy a bad tank! I know what a VIP and Hydro is, but I seem to forget the part in basic OW, where they said don't buy a Luxfer made between these years, because it's made from a bad alloy. What page in the book was that in?

pasley:
In all but one case they always calim to "know nothing about SCUBA" or the tanks.
BS - they're divers, who are afraid to use it, and know if they put that info in the post, they will get very few bids!

pasley:
also think that dive shops are using the scare factor to their advantage
Maybe, but maybe they really do think they're dangerous, and are protecting themselves. From what I've heard they all blew when filling, not diving.

Maybe the tanks are safe to dive, but if as someone posted earlier, DOT claims they will all fail eventually, I don't want to be there when it does. Also, with a claim like that, wouldn't you think they will eventually take them all out of circulation. I'm dumping mine before that happens.

Yes we have 3 of them between me and my buddy.

I truley understand your concern, I have two of these tanks myself.

If you do research on it, there have been aproximately 12 tanks EXPLODE, and this is a concern because there have been aproximatley 6-8 million tanks made from the 6351 alloy sold in the US.

That is, there have been 12 out of 6-8 MILLION! this is a very low chance of your tank actually exploding, there is a much greater chance that your tank will leak while being filled, or will fail hydro, or not pass the VIP..

and about them saying ALL these tanks will eventually fail? Ofcourse they will eventually fail. ALL TANKS WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL, even the newer ones. If the tanks never failed there would be no need to have a hydro test, or VIP...

My thought is that I will use common sence with my tanks, Don't store them full of air for long periods of time, and be careful not to drop them, keep them out of extreme temperatures, etc....

Also, all the tanks that have failed have failed while being filled, NONE of them failed while being used or stored (only the 5283 alloy has failed while being stored) Dont store your tanks full of air Drain them down to about 500 pounds.

I'd use the tanks for a while then retire them... How old are they?

Have Fun down under..

Vance

If you’re truly interested, take the VCI course from PSI. Great class, tons of info and you’ll come away with a healthy respect for cylinders. There’s also some good links and info on their website: http://www.psicylinders.com/index.html

Dave

Here you go, latest info update.
I personally was filling a 80 alum tank of the kind we're all talking about here and during the fill, with about 1600 psi in and climbing from my little MaxAir35, the tank started hissing. I thought I blew an o-ring or a hose. Looking around with my nose just inches away (!), I found the problem. Idling down the engine, shutting it off and moving away very quickly! I left for about 30 minutes and let it offgas.
After that, I wrote an email to Luxfer and requested a replacement tank. After all, in their VIP handbook it states that if a tank fails a VIP and is returned to the user/owner unuseable, then they'll replace it. Now they say, No...we'll give you 50$ towards the purchase of a ew one (if you were lucky enough to get in before the Dec 31, 2003 deadline!), which I was. And after several emails requesting something be done, I finally got a call from a Mr. Dan Stracner (Dan.Stracner@luxfer.net) & (909) 341-2375, who proceeded to talk with me a long time about the cracked tank neck. He was very sympathetic and offerred to get me another tank with the 50$ rebate program. Then he wants the tank personally delivered to him, not the company (?) 'cause he has a personal interest in this particular tank since it probably was an early one with a lot of lead in the alloy. He wants to send it to Europe to their metal tech guys and let them analyze it. (right....) He offers me a chance at a couple of High Pressure prototype tanks to "test" dive (rated at 105 cuft @ 4350 psi) and I haven't heard a single word back from him on anything. :54:
The girl in charge was named Pam McLean, Customer Service Mgr., (Pam.McLean@luxfer.net) ) and she was supposed to send me a call tag for UPS to pickup my broken tank and deliver it to Ken personally. It hasn't happened yet either! I've emailed them both repeatedly and have gotten no-where. So, keep an eye out on e-bay, 'cause I'm dumping all my Luxfer tanks and replacing them with Catalina tanks!
I don't have a lot of faith in anything they do now. Ken told me scuba tanks account for about 7% of their yearly sales. Not much leverage there if you know what I mean.
If anyone wants more details or copies of the emails, etc. let me know. I have some really good pictures too of the tank neck where the crack its.

best of luck with Luxfer.

db

NetDoc:
you might find that if they are made by Luxfer, that they have an exchange policy. The Walter Kidde tanks don't.
I think that Luxfer exchange deal expired 12/21/2003

cdennyb:
Here you go, latest info update.
I personally was filling a 80 alum tank of the kind we're all talking about here and during the fill, with about 1600 psi in and climbing from ...
db
Well, here's an update on the tank thing I spoke about.
I contacted Luxfer, again, and was able to leave a voice mail message with Ken. In about a week I got a call back. (Imagine that!) Finally I get to converse with someone. Anyway...
I related to Ken that I was running out of time and was interested in those high pressure tanks and wondered if this "testing" thing would happen any time soon. Well, he was sorry for the delay and was very apologetic to say the least. He 'bent over backwards' to assist me in getting the cylindersbefore my dive deadline and I received two tanks. One was a 106 cuft at 4350 psi and the other was a 63 cu ft at 4350 psi. (Both had thermo 4350 psi valves included and they were O2 cleaned as well!) The short one was kinda like the old 50 cu ft tanks offerred in the 70's. It was cute. Anyway, I filled them both with 36% Nitrox and used them in the research and recovery dive I was planning and they were beautiful. I now have two tanks to use and test as I see fit and report back the results to Luxfer for a year and after that they're mine.
Maybe I'll keep those Luxfer tanks a little longer and not sell them off just yet.
Just a note to keep those informed that wondered what the outcome was with Luxfer. :wink:
db

NetDoc:
you might find that if they are made by Luxfer, that they have an exchange policy. The Walter Kidde tanks don't.

I had this tank and took advantage of their "exchange" policy. When you mail them your tank, at your cost, they send you a $50 certificate to reduce the price when purchasing another Luxfer tank. Its not cash. This exchange had an expiration date, so check to see if they are still accepting tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom