WARNING***Ebay selling unsafe cyl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posideon's Breath:
What is the life of a tank ? alum & steel?
the two high pressure alum 7000 series fiberglass wrapped tanks I got to test from Luxfer show a end of service date of 02/17 which I assume to mean Feb of 2017. My guess is that shops won't be filling those after that date. Since we don't have any steel tanks, I only know about alum. The other alum tanks, as long as they pass hydro and vip and don't crack (!) are usefull for decades. Up to you if you want tokeep them around that long though.
db :wink:

Posideon's Breath:
What is the life of a tank ? alum & steel?

Any wrapped tank is 15 years.

Most aluminum and steel tanks certified for use in North America will last practically forever given normal usage.

Steels will last untill they rust out. I see 30 and 40 year old steel tanks passing hydro all the time.

Aluminum tanks seem to be like the everready bunny.....they keep going and going..... There is an old alloy (6351) used by Luxfer for a few years that has a problem with premature neck cracking, but a good inspection will find it before it is a problem.

There are european tanks that have a lifespan associated to them because they have a higher service pressure. I don't know much about them...

I have three of the "defective" Luxfers, take good care of them and use them regularly. My LDS and several I've used in Florida are okay with filling them as long as they are VIP'd and hydro'd (like any other tank)....anybody want to trash theirs, send it to me and I'll pay the shipping.

ScubaLew:
Luxfer has a web page explaining a good deal about these tanks. Luxfer's return progam was a voluntary program inititated by them and not required by DOT.

The URL is http://www.luxfercylinders.com/support/faq/sustainedloadcracking.shtml

I was also under the impression that the return program was only for 2003. Did Luxfer extend the time on this?

Very impressive, but I personally know of three tanks that are not listed on their little chart. One was mine that I personally was filling and have chatted about on this board as well. The other two were near fatalities. I suppose blowing off a hand or ripping your leg apart don't constitute getting on their chart.
For whatever reason, my deco stage tank sufferred a crack while filling and I quickly shut off the compressor and got the hell away until it vented. Here's a couple of pics.
db

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom