Was given a "working air" tank... can I convert to SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prunefoot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Somebody at work had this tank in their work house, didn't even know it was there since they took over the job 3 years ago, and gave it to me.

It says "working air" and still has some air in it. Would I be able to take it for inspection and testing to use for scuba? With a new valve of course.

This is just me... I'd start by draining all the air from the tank... remove the current valve, and see if a scuba valve can be threaded on. If it could be then my gears would be turning, if it couldn't then I'd give up on the idea.

Standard AL80, but out-of-hydro and would need a valve. Expect to spend $15-20 for a used valve, and $25-40 to get the tank tested and certified (need to do every five years). A used tank like that, with valve, ready to dive, usually runs $75-$120, with valve.

since when has stamps been allowed in the bottom of the tank. I would think that would constitute a fail on a vis.

since when has stamps been allowed in the bottom of the tank. I would think that would constitute a fail on a vis.

There are often mfg stamps on the bottom. They are not a problem - especially on AL cylinders as the base is a large chunk of aluminum.

You will have to replace the CGA 346 valve with a SCUBA valve (DIN or yoke). The trick will be finding one with neck threads that match. There's a good chance that the cylinder has 7/8" UNF threads since the 3/4" NPSM threads that are standard for SCUBA cylinders are not used in any other application.

SCUBA valves are available in 7/8" UNF but selection is limited and most are DIN only.

As you may be aware, due to differences in how the size is measured, 7/8" UNF threads are smaller than 3/4" NPSM threads.

You will have to replace the CGA 346 valve with a SCUBA valve (DIN or yoke). The trick will be finding one with neck threads that match. There's a good chance that the cylinder has 7/8" UNF threads since the 3/4" NPSM threads that are standard for SCUBA cylinders are not used in any other application.

SCUBA valves are available in 7/8" UNF but selection is limited and most are DIN only.

As you may be aware, due to differences in how the size is measured, 7/8" UNF threads are smaller than 3/4" NPSM threads.
Ah man. Nothing is ever easy is it.

Back
Top Bottom