Washing gear in warm water-how warm is 2 warm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burna

Contributor
Reaction score
I like to soak my gear in warm water for a while after diving, I think it helps to disolve the salt more easily and ...well it's just nicer when it's cold!! I know I know... stop being a :fairy:.

I have wondered about how sensitive the seals and valves inside the regs and on my drysuit (latex) are to temperature, i.e cook them.

I've figured that if the water was no hotter than I'd have for a bath then it'd be ok. In fact, I prob'ly have it a little cooler than that and as it's outside it cools down pretty quickly anyway.

Is this still too hot?

Ta.

I draw a tub of warm water(not hot enought to take a bath in though) & soak my gear(everything) for 24 hrs----then dump it & repeat the process...after the 2nd soaking I drain the tub & dry everything by hand OR hang up the booties, gloves(ie soft stuff) to air dry.....My skins, shorties, wetsuits, the wife washes on gentle cycle with Woolite---hang to air dry afterward.......ALL THIS is for saltwater diving----for post freshwater diving I cut everything in half time wise........

This procedure has worked for over 50 abroad trips & many Gulf trips since Dec. of 1985....(ie it's time proven)

EDIT:also remember---the warm(or hot water) you soak everything in will cool off & in fact get a little cool after a few hours of just sitting there......

I keep barrels waiting in the sun. Of course they are not consistently warm but it beats cold well water and I don't pay to heat it. So far it has served my gear well.

Pete

Fresh water tubs left in the sun in a hot climate can get quite warm (certainly close to bath temp). I've never heard of that harming equipment. Having said that, I doubt that using warmer water on purpose is of huge benefit.

I have a hot water hose right out my hotwater heater. I have been doing it for years and it dose not hurt anything. And my steel tanks still look new no rust.:D loving that. And my regs look great to.

I have a hot water hose right out my hotwater heater. I have been doing it for years and it dose not hurt anything. And my steel tanks still look new no rust.:D loving that. And my regs look great to.

Cool..I mean Hot.. I mean...well you know what I mean!

How hot is the water, like bath temp? Do you use a drysuit?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Snarky post and replies have been removed...
Please play nicely!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom