Washing wetsuits in the washing machine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score

Recently I have been washing my 3 mm wetsuits in the washing machine with it set on gentle and only using half the normal detergent with double water rinses. I contacted many wetsuit manufactures and got all sorts of different replies on how to wash them. Used to wash in the tub - a rinse more than a wash - with special wetsuit cleaner. Got sick of this so wanted to try a new way. Most of the time I dive fresh water.

Any idea if this is good or bad in the long run?

I have been doing this for several years. No seeming adverse affect to wetsuit. Some people say you should not do it. Run on gentle. and then hang up afterwards.

fookisan:
Recently I have been washing my 3 mm wetsuits in the washing machine with it set on gentle and only using half the normal detergent with double water rinses. I contacted many wetsuit manufactures and got all sorts of different replies on how to wash them. Used to wash in the tub - a rinse more than a wash - with special wetsuit cleaner. Got sick of this so wanted to try a new way. Most of the time I dive fresh water.

Any idea if this is good or bad in the long run?
I soak mine in a 44 gallon trashcan dedicated to that purpose.

If the suit is especially funky, the gentle cycle with about one quarter normal detergent and cold water seems to do the trick. I suspect I lose a little bit of suit life this way, so I only do it about once a year.

I dive FW and only wash my suit/boots after several dives (in the washing machine)...other dives I rinse off with a garden hose and dry outside in the shade.

I"ve been washing all our wetsuits (4 total) like that for 10+ years. I haven't seen any damage to the suits. All suits are 3mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom