Water Awareness in Residential Neighborhoods / W.A.R.N.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
‘Diver Dan’ joins Van Buren Township dive team

Ashley Dobos
Staff Writer

Diver Dan has joined the Van Buren Township Underwater Search and Recovery Team and so far, he’s a pretty popular guy.

The dive team started a new program recently to educate the community about the dangers of drowning in and around the home, and Diver Dan has proven invaluable to their efforts to reach citizens and especially, children.

“The program stresses water awareness,” said Det. Louis Keele. “It’s a way to get citizens more involved with the community.

When two children drowned within a month of each other in Indianapolis in 2000 from swimming in ponds, the Water Awareness in Residential Neighborhoods was created.

“It’s really a new program for us,” said Lt. Daniel Besson.

The program provides education about drowning dangers using Diver Dan. He educates all ages about potential hazards in the home including buckets, toilets, tubs and small pools.

“It’s important to bring education to the community,” said Keele.

Diver Dan also shows threats from surrounding bodies of water around the home including streams, lakes, ponds, ditches, rivers, and swimming pools. He teaches people how to prevent tragedies from happening. The program stresses the importance of wearing life jackets and/or using flotation devices when working and playing in the water, officials said.

“The program teaches children to wear life jackets on boats and not to swim alone,” said Besson.

There are two different programs that the Dive Team offers– one for adults, and one for children. The programs consist of videos, power point presentations, handouts, and packets.

“The program shows how water can be fun but dangerous at the same time,” said Keele.

Diver Dan and his Dive Team assistants can be scheduled by local organizations for free to come educate about drowning threats. To schedule Diver Dan and his assistants, contact firefighter Angela Hayes at (734) 699-8900 extension 9416 or email her at ahayes@vanburen-mi.org or Keele at (734) 699-8917 or email him at lkeele@vanburen-mi.org.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Van Buren Township
Program describes drowning dangers
The Van Buren Township Underwater Search and Recovery Team has launched a new program to educate the community about drowning dangers in and near their homes.
Water Awareness in Residential Neighborhoods was created after two metropolitan Indianapolis children drowned within a month of each other in two retention ponds in 2000. The program has since spread to other parts of the country.
WARN uses a character named Diver Dan who identifies water hazards in the home, including filled buckets, tubs, toilets, or small "kiddie'' pools, and bodies of water near the home, including ponds, streams, lakes, river, ditches, or swimming pools. Diver Dan teaches ways to prevent tragedies, reinforcing the importance of wearing life jackets or other flotation devices when boating, or working and playing near water.
Local organizations and associations may schedule sessions with "Diver Dan'' and his dive team assistants through firefighter Angela Hayes, at 734-699-8900, ext. 9416 or at ahayes@vanburen-mi.org, or through Detective Louis Keele at 734-699-8917 or lkeele@vanburen-mi.org.

MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE W.A.R.N. PROGRAM IS AVAILABLE ONLINE AT:
http://www.warnonline.org

Last fall, I took one of our team's ice suits and a rope disc to every third grade class in our town. There, I did a short twenty minute talk about ice and water safety. It was very well received. The kids enjoyed it and the teachers warmed up to it after we got going.

The previous spring, my neice invited me to her fourth grade class for "show and tell". I brought in a lot of gear and the teacher gave me ten minutes. The kids were really into it and I really leaned into the "science" of diving and got them really involved. The teacher encouraged me to keep going and we stayed an hour.

Kids just eat it up!

Way to go Diver Dan, there should be more guys like you out there.I want to do something similar but will need permission from our local school board.Keep up the great work.
Oh yes, I have sent in my request to the school board to do 10 lectures/demos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom