Water Can Kill You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of years ago there was an article about how kids were doing that to get high or whatnot, I guess a few of them were dying too.

those "eating contests" aren't brilliant either.

I think water intoxication and the subsequent brain swelling is a component of freshwater drownings, if I remember correctly.

I know there has been talk of making runners weigh in before a race and to write their weight on their number bib before the race. There have been several cases of water tox in runners who have collasped and then been given more fluids. The thinking is that if you know pre race weight, you could put them on a scale to check weight and if they weigh more than the start of the race they would not give fluids thinking they are dehydrated, but rather start checking for water tox.

KNDN's legal offices should have done a little research into the event. It has been available knowledge that water in excess amounts can have lethal consequences. I hope her family sues the heck out of them... and that she wins a coveted Darwin award.

Radio station DJ's and their producers aren't well known for pre-clearing stuff with their lawyers if they know a stunt will generate ratings.

Several years ago, a local pair of DJ's on a popular morning show "faked" a call-in from an individual who claimed to know what happened to a real missing person. That got the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department involved. The station ended up paying $12,000 to reimburse them for the department's costs in trying to track down the individual, along with an unknown amount of FCC fine. It also caused a lot of mental anguish to the family of the missing person, who ended up suing the pair (don't know if they won or not).

Hopefully the station wont have to pay/do anything.

It didnt force anyone to take part. Everyone did it through their own choice. Therefore, entirely their own fault.

String:

It didnt force anyone to take part. Everyone did it through their own choice. Therefore, entirely their own fault.

That may be true in the U.K., but this is America. We sue over everything and anything! It's the American way of life.

String:

Yeah. Self-responsibility. I hope the radio station was shrewd enough to have had the contestants at least sign some sort of waiver, however. Our legal system isn't as rational as you Brits'.

Back
Top Bottom