Water ingress to BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I was wondering, during my pool sessions - learning buoyancy control etc - when at the surface with an inflated BCD, we were told the two main ways to submerge was to pull the shoulder dump valve and also to use the BCD air valve/pipe; holding it up and releasing the air.

I noticed when getting out of the poo, the BCD had water inside it from using the shoulder dump valve to submerge. I'm assuming this was where I've held it open too long, all the air has been released and the water then ran in?

Does the air inlet/release pipe/valve on the BCD have a valve to prevent water ingress? So if using this once under water, will this prevent water flowing in? It wasn't a problem but I figure this is not good practice to allow water inside the BCD, if not to maintain it but for buoyancy control?

LMAO! I've just realised what I've typed!
No, I'm definitely in a POOL - my apologies! :\

The release valve in your right shoulder and in the right bottom do not have a water trap to prevent water come in.
The deflate valve in the power inflator has also no water trap. If the power inflator has built in Remote Exhaust valve, it do has a water trap (depends on the model).
Water inside BCD blader is harmless unless it is not full of water. Water comes in if you use too much the inflation - deflation - dump valves. I mean if you are over-weighted and you need to constantly add-remove air from your BCD.

You should also have been instructed to rinse out the inside of your BC after the dives too in order to flush out salt water.

I usually put some Listerine in my BCD if not using it for a while.

If I were getting out of the poo, the liquid that would be where it wasn't supposed to be would be in my drysuit, I think . . . :)

After diving salt water I deliberately use a hose to put some water in the BCD through the dumb valve. Slosh around and drain. You want to avoid build up of salt crystals in the BCD. They can be rough on the BCD air bladder.

Every once in a while I add a little BCD cleaner to hold down bacterial and other growth in the BCD. Particularly if the last few dives have been fresh water.

You should also have been instructed to rinse out the inside of your BC after the dives too in order to flush out salt water.

I usually put some Listerine in my BCD if not using it for a while.
I like the Listerine idea, I will have to try that.

I usually remove the rear dump valve, add water with the hose, slosh and drain through the oral inflater. I do this once or more depending on how much water was in the bladder, then let dry with the valve removed and the bladder opened up as much as practical.

Getting out of a pool of poo or getting our of a water filled swimming pool? LOL. Because both could apply:wink: B.

Back
Top Bottom