Water Pipe Tower at Okoboji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A couple years ago I went out diving with Blue Water divers. One of the DM's on the boat said there's a public entrance close to the water pipe tower area. The water pipe extends from the water's edge down to the wooden tower, so it's easy to find as a shore dive.

Does anyone know where this public entrance is? Would like to try this as a shore dive.

Thanks.

I did my Rescue Diver certificate at Lake Okoboji several years ago. My husband and I stopped at Blue Water Divers and they gave us directions to get to the tower. There were quite a few steps to get down to the waters edge. Also, while we were diving some fisherman came around and we had to watch for fishing line and hooks. Guess they didn't know what a dive flag was. I found a website that has some pictures of the tower: My Okoboji Images.com

I did my Rescue Diver certificate at Lake Okoboji several years ago. My husband and I stopped at Blue Water Divers and they gave us directions to get to the tower. There were quite a few steps to get down to the waters edge. Also, while we were diving some fisherman came around and we had to watch for fishing line and hooks. Guess they didn't know what a dive flag was. I found a website that has some pictures of the tower: My Okoboji Images.com

I saw your website some time ago, and that's what made me want to dive it. Not alot to see by most standards, but it's a chance to DIVE :)

Yes, boats are a big concern there. Blue Water Divers said that on the weekends during the summer it's almost solid boats on the lake and no, they don't know what a dive flag is :(

Once you got in the water, was it deep enough to get below the boats quickly?

When I get back there I try to dive in the middle of the week and the boat traffic isn't bad at all. I'm not sure about the walk in as I take the boat over there. It's a fun little dive, lots of big game fish. Best bet is to ring up Blue Water Divers again and ask for specifics.

I saw your website some time ago, and that's what made me want to dive it. Not alot to see by most standards, but it's a chance to DIVE :)

Yes, boats are a big concern there. Blue Water Divers said that on the weekends during the summer it's almost solid boats on the lake and no, they don't know what a dive flag is :(

Once you got in the water, was it deep enough to get below the boats quickly?

I can't take credit for the website, I just did a search on google.com and located it.

If I remember correctly once we were in waist deep water it sloped down pretty quickly. Just make sure you get to the bottom as soon as possible and then follow the pipeline. I did my Rescue Diver course at the end of September. While there was still some boat traffic it was nothing like it would have been during the summer. Personally I won't do any shore diving on Lake Okoboji between Memorial Day - Labor Day.

The owner of one of our local dive shops told me about an incident at Terrace Beach at Lake Okoboji. He was conducting Open Water training off the beach. Dive flags were in the water. A boat actually drove up onto the beach with the divers underwater. Scary.

Back
Top Bottom