Water Proof GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comiso90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've found it useful to mark some spots with a GPS. However on a recent trip the "dry bag" leaked and ruined a friends GPS. The only "weather" resistant GPS I've seen is the:

Garmin eTrex Venture (same as my friend's who got ruined!)

I dont mind paying a few bucks for more a "Water Resistant" model but thus far, my web searches have not turned up a better model....

any suggestions?

THANKS

Zip-Lock sandwich bags.

the K

I have used an Otterbox with my gps. When I did my divemaster internship I had an underwater mapping project to do. I turned the gps on and placed in inside the otterbox. It would aquire a signal and fix my location. Then I'd submerge, and it would loose signal. When I got to where I wanted to start mapping, I'd send it up on a reel where it would aquire the signal again and begin logging my track which I could then download to google earth and overlay on a map. Worked great for me, but I am a gadget geek.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. This is a great start..

cheers

Mote Man I have heard of the treasure divers using this same technique. How deep can an otterbox go I wonder?? I think this is an awesome idea.

Comiso I would recommend you looking at marine GPSes not only they are water proof but they also support marine maps so you can upload depth map which can be very useful when diving.

i've heard good things about the Garmin 72

Garmin GPS 72 - New Buy

(all hearsay, i've never owned one)

Wow good price too. I did not know you could do all that with a GPS.. I mean it makes sense as the raw data is there but I did not know about all the Aps. I might have to get one of these...

Mote Man I have heard of the treasure divers using this same technique. How deep can an otterbox go I wonder?? I think this is an awesome idea.

The deepest I've used mine is 30 ft. but I believe they are rated to 3X that. The only problem with using it deep is you'll lose accuracy. Distance and currents will cause a huge deflection in the line making it off by several feet, which isn't much of a problem in good viz but could be in poor viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom