Water Proof GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terminology wise yes you are correct.

Thanks for concurring with the accuracy of my statements. I really appreciate someone telling me that I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for concurring with the accuracy of my statements. I really appreciate someone telling me that I know what I'm talking about.

no problem, I know how much disagreement in terminology can lead to confusions and meaningless arguments :) yes "water resistant" would be more accurate

I completely agree with the term proof. Nothing is waterproof. Bullet Proof. Fire proof. There are only varying degree's of resistance.

For instance I have a Seiko which is water resistant to 20 ATM -- which is pretty much proof for what I am going to be doing with it....

I've got my eyes on this little beauty: OFFROUTE.COM:*Garmin*-*GPSMAP 76Cx
It looks like a very good price too. Although I know absolutly nothing about this dealer. I'm guessing it's a new unit as it doesn't say refurbished. I see that Geekdiver already has one. How do you like it?

Last edited:
Garmin eTrex Ventura is a good model compared to any other model lines. Only one missing feature is a SD memory slot. But, 24MB is more than enough for a handheld GPS. Any handheld GPS isn't a totally water proof. If then, you don't need to spend more than $100 IMHO...

You can use an Otter 3000 series box (clear one). It fits very well. To ensure, you can put it into ziplock bag first and Otter box.

I've found it useful to mark some spots with a GPS. However on a recent trip the "dry bag" leaked and ruined a friends GPS. The only "weather" resistant GPS I've seen is the:

Garmin eTrex Venture (same as my friend's who got ruined!)

I dont mind paying a few bucks for more a "Water Resistant" model but thus far, my web searches have not turned up a better model....

any suggestions?

THANKS

I have a Garmin 76Cx that I've been very happy with. It's waterproof (although I can't remember the depth), but it also floats if dropped in the water. I have Garmin brackets attached to my kayak (used mostly in salt water) and my bike, and after two years, I've never had a problem with it.

I picked up a Garmin 76cx from Outdoor World to try. I marked the beach and the reef with it. While returning I accidently erased my waypoints:shakehead:. I really liked the unit so I returned it, then ordered it online for $150 less than Outdoor World. I also got a screen protector, a marine mount, 2g memory card and the BlueCharts maps. Hopefully it will all soon!

I picked up a Garmin 76cx from Outdoor World to try. I marked the beach and the reef with it. While returning I accidently erased my waypoints:shakehead:. I really liked the unit so I returned it, then ordered it online for $150 less than Outdoor World. I also got a screen protector, a marine mount, 2g memory card and the BlueCharts maps. Hopefully it will all come soon!

Looking to buy a GPS this week. I looked at the "cell hut" site and wondered Hmm why are they showing something other than a Garmin 72 in the picture. The unit they show is NOT a garmin 72 for sure.

"...four-level gray monochrome backlit display.." Anyone familiar with "Cell Hut?"

Actually.. screw it I have been getting bent over by internet electronics sells.. I am going to west marine and pay the extra $30.00 to get what I want IN hand and Working before I leave the store.

fwiw I have the 76s chartploter (gpschart?) it floats and is waterproof.

-a buddy tested his by accident, when he tossed it overboard. I dove in and got it, (it floated), and it was sealed. (still working).

not sure how deep it will be waterproof, but it passed the 'slash' test.

I carry my gps in a otterbox (pelican brand actually). on a kayak. when I find a good spot, I surface an mark it.

-I do like the reel and otterbox idea for deeper dives... but it would still be hard to mark the 'hot spot' without surfacing...

only problem w/ garmin is the price of the blue charts software... and they upgrade about 2x a year, so if your laptop dies you'll need to buy the upgrade...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom