Water temp October/November? 3mm? 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can anyone with experience please advise what water temperatures I could expect in mid October to November. I plan on staying for a month with the sole purpose of Diving. My itinerary will likely include a live aboard to/thru Komodo. I have a 3mm but am wondering if I should take a 5mm instead. I am pretty slim and feel the cold. Thanks in advance.

If your trip will include the south side of Komodo, and you are someone who gets cold, I would advise taking the 5mm. It will be more wetsuit than you need in some areas, but in my opinion, it's better to deal with that than be cold for part of your trip.

@buddhasummer 5mm hood and gloves,seeing that you feel the cold and more importantly you will be diving for a month you will start to feel cooler with the amount of dives,keep body warm from start with 5mm and add on gloves and hood later to maintain warmth :D

The World In My Eyes
@buddhasummer 5mm hood and gloves,seeing that you feel the cold and more importantly you will be diving for a month you will start to feel cooler with the amount of dives,keep body warm from start with 5mm and add on gloves and hood later to maintain warmth

Today, 08:26 AMhighdesert
If your trip will include the south side of Komodo, and you are someone who gets cold, I would advise taking the 5mm. It will be more wetsuit than you need in some areas, but in my opinion, it's better to deal with that than be cold for part of your trip.

Thanks for the replies, Ill go with the 5mm, figured that would probably be the best. I dive 5mm when in Thailand and have never been cold, never been hot either, its easy to cool down while diving but impossible to warm up. Thanks again.

Might also take a 3mm shorty just in case. The newer wetsuit materials become permanently compressed after a few dozen dives, so a new 5mm with be a 3mm before your month is up. A 2mm surfer type hood works well.

Just got off a 10 day trip to Komodo. Water temps were 81' in the north and as low as 68' at Manta Point. Bring the 5mm and a hooded vest. Great trip, mantas at 6 sites in the north and south, sharks on most dives and dolphins underwater/eagle rays at Crystal Rock.

Woodiver - we will be there in 2 weeks - how were the currents? Any other tidbits to share? This will be my 1st time in Komodo and 1st liveaboard. Thanks!

5 mm.

you'll take your hood & gloves but not need them.

Bellesmom - which lob are you taking? i did alor in 09 & komodo in 2010 - both great trips

john

Back
Top Bottom