Water Temperature in Cod Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My wife and I are on our way for a Mike Ball cruise to Cod Hole this coming June, and I'm confused about what to take for exposure protection. The Mike Ball web site does have a page with some climate data on it (http://www.mikeball.com/weather.htm), but this just lists "Great Barrier Reef". According to this page, I should expect 75F water temperature. That doesn't exactly fit my 3mm wet suit nor my DUI dry suit. Today I was in the shop where I teach, talking with the owner about getting either a 5mm or a 7mm wet suit, and he insisted the water at Cod Hole could not possibly be that cold. He so much as laughed me out of the shop! I know he has taken this trip several times before, though I don't know at what time of year.

So what is the answer? Do I need to break down and get a couple of 5mm wet suits?

Bruce

When I 've been there diving during the day I wore .5mm or my 1mm. Then on the night dives I wore my 1mm with my 3mm shorty over the top. I was not used to wearing that much for on my island I only wear my rash guard while diving.

26 C last October 23rd

1 mil shorty - no problem.

You will sweat in a 5mm or 7mm. I used a 3mm shortie with no hood or gloves, and I was fine. I now own a 2mm shortie, and I'm sure that would have been fine, too, even on the night dives.

The water temp there is between 75º and 80ºF. (Don't want to make the conversion to Celsius...you can do that if you need to. :D )

I have just checked my log, I've happily dived out of Cairns in August in 75F water (3 dive day trips) in a 3mil shorty. If I were you I'd add in a hood and gloves (my hands get cold) as extra thermal protection in case you find it a bit nippy.

Alison

Uh, since youre from Little Cayman, you'll be colder. I wore a 5 mil full suit in their winter. Cod Hole is near Townsville, so its somewhat colder there in winter, the numbers they are quotingon the website are correct. I lived in Mackay (south of Townsville) and we wore 5 mil 2 pieces in the winter. Also, if you are doing repetitive dives you'll really want the 5.

zf2nt:
My wife and I are on our way for a Mike Ball cruise to Cod Hole this coming June, and I'm confused about what to take for exposure protection. The Mike Ball web site does have a page with some climate data on it (http://www.mikeball.com/weather.htm), but this just lists "Great Barrier Reef". According to this page, I should expect 75F water temperature. That doesn't exactly fit my 3mm wet suit nor my DUI dry suit. Today I was in the shop where I teach, talking with the owner about getting either a 5mm or a 7mm wet suit, and he insisted the water at Cod Hole could not possibly be that cold. He so much as laughed me out of the shop! I know he has taken this trip several times before, though I don't know at what time of year.

So what is the answer? Do I need to break down and get a couple of 5mm wet suits?

Bruce

I was there a couple of years ago in "June", it was 78F to 79F while we did about 4 dives in the area off a liveaboard. I was fine with a 3mm full wet suit and I had a 1mm in case I became cold.....which I didn't use. I did have a dive beanie which I did use. The farther south you are the water temps away from Cod Hole became cooler....my coolest reading was at Steve's Bommie where I recorded 77F. At Osprey reef aways north of Cod Hole it was 82F. You are in a great area for sighting Minkes and you will be there at the right time of year for whale season.
On our first dive at Cod Hole, which was at dusk, we encountered a large grouper accompanied by the golden jacks or pilot fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom