Water Temps Mazatlan in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Need water temps and wetsuit reccomendations for may 7th to 14th - 07. First time there, but the room/board is free, so I'm going:popcorn:

Unsure of exact water tremps in Mazatlan but last time I dove in Puerto Vallarta which is just south was around upper 70's for temps. And we dove in Bathing suits. A shorty 3mm should be suficiant or if you normally get chilled a 3mm full suit should keep you comfortable.

Lousy diving however. Went out once last month - vis was about 6' and this was not abnormal I am told. Used to poor vis but this was really really bad. Did see some nudi's and a couple of small wolf eels so not a total loss. A 3 mil should be fine.

Darnold9999:
Lousy diving however. Went out once last month - vis was about 6' and this was not abnormal I am told. Used to poor vis but this was really really bad. Did see some nudi's and a couple of small wolf eels so not a total loss. A 3 mil should be fine.

Like the others have said, it is very warm in May. I lived there last year. Diving wasnt very big however for said reasons, Low vis and not much to see. I personally never went, but my buddies who had reported the same info.

Have fun though, I sure do miss that town.

I LOVE Mazatlan.

Great city. Great beach. Friendly people. Amazing food.

Diving??? Not so great. In fact, it is a little difficult to find an outfitter. I went out with a local police officer/instructor- great guy. He flat out told me it was not worth the money, but if I really wanted to go he would do the trip. I wanted to dive, so he took me.

He was right- five foot of fiz, some starfish covered rocks, some fishhere and there.

Spend your money fishing, amazing seafood, and drinking. :D

I dove off Puerto Vallarta about 6 years ago - the lds that I hooked up with gave me figures around 50-100 foot visibility. We lost each other on almost every dive the vis was so crappy. The water was nice and warm but you could not see your fins or your buddy. I know this isn't Mazatlan but my experience for the Pacific side of Mexico wasn't good at all, at least not for seeing (hey, any day diving is better that sitting in front of this keyboard, right?).

I dove Mazatlan a couple years ago at the end of June, and the temps were fine with a 3 mil. Used the dive/water sports shop right next to the El Cid, El Morro. (On the beach side.) Went out to Deer Island on a small (6 person) open dive boat. Not a ton to see, vis was not great but probably close to 20'. Still was fun just to get into the water, saw octopus and quite a few other fish.

Regards,

Gary

Back
Top Bottom