water up nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are in the water, water goes up nose, you should get used to it. N

I think it may just be timing. It took me awhile for example when doing backstroke not to get water in my nose when turning. The same is true for any activity. Water may cause irritation and forceful expulsion once in a while. If happens often, then it is just a familiarity with water issue requiring a little more time spent in the water. Might be breathing normally and not shutting down when water entering nose due to lack of experience. Swim more at least a few times a week. This will also help your diving skills.

No exhaling needed. Water always goes in the nostrils. It won't go further in if you completely close off the passages. Practise on land--same then in water.
I also agree about it probably being a timing thing when clearing the mask. There may be a couple of things being done wrong resulting in water into the nose (or even just in the nostrils). Practising on land first, then maybe the bathtub, etc. may be of help.

No exhaling needed. Water always goes in the nostrils.

That's not entirely true, but by the time you've learned to keep enough positive pressure in your nostrils all the time, you're so used to getting water up there it's no longer a problem.

That's not entirely true, but by the time you've learned to keep enough positive pressure in your nostrils all the time, you're so used to getting water up there it's no longer a problem.
I see what you're saying. I guess I said it always goes in the nostrils because it always went in mine and I thought nothing of it. It would seem to me to be difficult to regulate "positive pressure" as you say, in order to keep water out of your nostrils. I guess that would be something you could practise if for some reason water in nostrils is very bothersome even if the airway is closed and it can go no further in. Water in nostrils most likely is a mental discomfort for some, as it of course does you no harm.

I tried it in my bathtup by lying down on my back, looking up to the bathroom ceiling, filling up the bathtup with water until my head & nose were underwater without mask. It worked for me by simply holding my breath, even though some water get into my nostrils but I wasn't drinking any water.

I tried it in my bathtup by lying down on my back, looking up to the bathroom ceiling, filling up the bathtup with water until my head & nose were underwater without mask. It worked for me by simply holding my breath, even though some water get into my nostrils but I wasn't drinking any water.
i will try it again. if you are able to do it then i should be capable also. i will practice. swimming in the pool and holding my breath is no problem, in the pool im a fish under water until i try to swim upside down lol.

You inhale by mouth through reg. -- clear mask by exhaling through nose right after the mouth inhale. Where's the breath hold?

You inhale by mouth through reg. -- clear mask by exhaling through nose right after the mouth inhale. Where's the breath hold?

I do the breath hold whenever I want to look up & after clearing my mask to minimize any water from getting into the nose before looking up.

Again, I don't need to look up to clear my mask, as shown in the videos. By pressing the upper part of the mask with my index finger, exhaling through the nose while tilting the bottom part of the mask away from the cheeks with thumb at the same time, I'll drain the water out of the mask by gravity through the bottom part of the mask until I see bubbles coming out of the bottom part of the mask. By then the water would be drained out of the mask & I can let go the hand off the mask. I used to do it with both hands in the beginning, but later I just do it with my left hand, as my right hand holding a camera.

I see what you're saying. I guess I said it always goes in the nostrils because it always went in mine and I thought nothing of it. It would seem to me to be difficult to regulate "positive pressure" as you say, in order to keep water out of your nostrils. I guess that would be something you could practise if for some reason water in nostrils is very bothersome even if the airway is closed and it can go no further in. Water in nostrils most likely is a mental discomfort for some, as it of course does you no harm.

It takes surprisingly little: with even a little outside pressure it's enough to wiggle your jaw to suck the water halfway up the nose. The reason you practice it is you're a swimmer practicing flip turns.

It's one of the things that makes swimmers better at diving: mask clearing drill is no problem. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom