Waterborne strap- sold in the Phils?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LaniS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like to replace the strap of my Vyper - have a small wrist and there's 7 inches of excess strap when worn.

I have read about using a bungee cord but think I like the aesthetics of a Waterborne strap more :) Do you guys know if the Waterborne strap is available here in Manila or do I have to order it online? I saw it on Joe Diver and Scubatoys. A friend of mine will be leaving for the US later this month and I can have the straps (I plan on buying a second one for my future SK7 compass) delivered to his house there to save on overseas courier charges. It would cost me around P900 (incl shipping) if I buy it online.

But if it is available here in Manila and cost difference is not too much, I'd rather buy it here..

Also, if I change the strap, do I need to keep the boot?

Thanks!!

Hi LaniS

Try Atlantis, or Pacifica dive...they certainly had in the past. I love these straps and have put them on a number of my wrist units, and recently did the same for one of my guests with his Vyper2.

You can leave the boot if you want, but there is not really any need for it, other than aesthetics and a little bit of protection. Just pop out the pins, remove the old strap and the boot, put the pins back in and feed the WB strap through. The main advantage of these from my point of view is that if one of the pins fails you will not loose your computer...and you don't need to use one of those pesky lanyards that just get in the way.

Hope that helps...

Matt.

Thanks Matt. I Pacifica has no stock, Atlantis has one piece left at P1,490... but I think my friend will be back from the US way before I get to go back to Puerto G..

Nautilus says they have a nylon wrist strap - generic.. for P900. Can you tell me, what is the material of the Waterborne? And how long is it? adjustable length?

Thanks!

Thanks Matt. I Pacifica has no stock, Atlantis has one piece left at P1,490... but I think my friend will be back from the US way before I get to go back to Puerto G..

Nautilus says they have a nylon wrist strap - generic.. for P900. Can you tell me, what is the material of the Waterborne? And how long is it? adjustable length?

Thanks!

I have to be honest but I'm not big on 'materials' so I would have to guess and say it's some kind of nylon webbing. Very strong though whatever it is. I put my gear through a lot of **** and I have no concerns about these failing. Comfortable too though.

There seems to be different lengths and I'm not sure which of mine are waterbourne branded and which are generic. I think the waterbourne are the shorter ones, around 8 inches, and the generic ones are longer at around 12inches. So they therefore have more holes...it is just like a watch strap/belt, so you pick which holes you want to use. Once you're happy with the length you can trim off any excess you don't need...I normally leave them long so that you can use on a drysuit or thicker wetsuit if necessary...

There are different widths, for the Vyper I would go with the wider one, it will hold it more stable.

There does seem to be a bunch of online places selling them...just get it sent in and I'm sure the pricing will still be less than $20. Or go with the generic one from Carol...I think that will still be fine for what you need they are almost identical.

I'd like to replace the strap of my Vyper - have a small wrist and there's 7 inches of excess strap when worn.
If the length is your only objection to the original strap, just cut off the excess leaving enough to go over the thickest suit you will wear.

If the length is your only objection to the original strap, just cut off the excess leaving enough to go over the thickest suit you will wear.

Initially that was just my concern, and was considering just cutting off the excess. Anyways, I searched the board for a solution, and surprisingly, the concerns were not the length but more about pin failure and difficulty in putting it on/off (for cold water divers).

The solutions were either a bungee mount or replacing the strap with a one strap type. The Waterborne strap appealed more to me, aesthetically (sorry):)

try scubastop... those straps look familiar and i vaguely remember gordon having some blank nylon straps on display... had funky colors too...

Jag

Thanks guys, I did consider a velcro strap too, but compared to that, I think I'm better off with the Waterborne strap, and based on feedback, is comfortable, reliable and durable. Does not cost that much too.

Hey LaniS:

I used to wear a Waterborne strap about 15 years ago I think, but switched to a cleaner and more durable Zulu strap. The Waterborne was junk and it was to gaudy and I am typically a low profile person. It may look cool, but it is not very durable- I used it in the military hoping that it would be durable but the material was cheap and the whole thing fell apart, at least when I tried it. But then again, maybe it was how I used it.

You may find that a Zulu strap is more to your liking as the Waterborne has those metal keepers that may not fit on both sides of your computer (as in one side is flush but the other side rests under your computer). But it sounds like an above poster had no problem with that issue so hopefully you have the same luck.

I hope this helps and sorry of I made the choice harder for you. :)

With kind regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom